STDs Expert Forum
Protected Oral Sex but Inverse Psoriasis

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

4 weeks ago I had Protected Oral Sex with a Sex Worker in the Red Light District of Amsterdam.  2 Weeks after this I began feeling a discomfort in both arm pits, thought this might be swollen glands, but did not feel any bumps or pain when I felt under my arms.  This discomfort has come and gone over the past two weeks again with no bumps or pain to the touch.  Since then I seem to constantly being checking my armpits and glands under my chin to see if they are swollen.  I have had a lot of anxiety over this and can not stop thinking I may have exposed myself to HIV.

While the condom was used properly and did not break, I am concerned that I may have been exposed because I have inverse psoriasis with red/pink patches at the base of my penis.  I do not believe that the psoriasis patches had any broken skin to the best of my knowledge.  Here are my questions:

1.  Is there a risk of STD's or HIV from Protected Oral Sex?

2.  Does having inverse psoriasis put me at higher risk in this situation if the areas of psoriasis were not visably bleeding or having dry flaky skin?

3.  If my glands were swollen would the pain/discomfort come a go, and how would I be able to tell if they are truly swollen?

Very worried...please help.

Thank you!
You have nothing to worry about.  Protected sex is safe and your exposure was protected.  There is no reason to worry that your inverse psoriasis increases your risk of infection unless your skin was broken and even then it would have little effect.  In fact, in that psoriasis thickens skin, it might even make one more resistant to infection.  Certainly not more susceptible however.  In answer to your questions:

1.  No, none.
2.  See above. this should not increase your risk.
3.  First of all, swollen glands are non-specific and even if yours are, it means nothing in terms of STD risk. they could be swollen from your psoriasis.  My advice would be to ask a health care professional if your glands and swollen and, if they are, then ask first whether it is something you should worry about and, if so, what it is you should worry about.  STSDs and HIV are not among the concerns however.

Hope this helps.  EWH