STDs Community
Protected Oral and Vaginal Sex with Sex Worker

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Hi Doc,

In a moment of moral failure and rash decision making, I decided to visit an escort today. The encounter included protected oral and vaginal sex, which in total lasted maybe 10-15 minutes. A condom was used and there was no breakage or slippage, so I understand the chances of a fluid-transmitted disease like HIV are essentially 0%.

However, what are the risks for skin-to-skin transmitted STDs? My main concern is contracting either Herpes or HPV. As far as Herpes, is it possible to contract it even when there are no open sores? I did not have any cuts or sores of any kind and as far as I could tell, neither did the escort. What about for HPV? I've read that simply one-time genital-area contact is enough to contract the disease. I've also read that a majority of sexually active people have it or have had it, so it seems inevitable that someone like a sex worker who has sex probably several times a day, every day will have it and thus be contagious. I am extremely worried as I understand HPV is often asymptomatic but can be especially dangerous (the asymptomatic varieties are correlated with cancer). I also do not want to spread it to future sex partners I may have. Is there anything I do can do at this point? Is it possible to get tested for these particular diseases?
You're worrying way too much from this encounter. It's true that there is a slight risk for HPV and herpes from having protected sex but that risk is very very small. You can get herpes when no sores are present but this is very rare so wouldn't worry unless you get real painful blisters appearing within the next two weeks. As for HPV there's are lots of different strains but very few cause symptoms ie warts. You had protected sex so you really shouldn't worry. You can have a herpes test if you really want one after three months but there is no test for HPV in males.