STDs Expert Forum
Protected Sex w/ Genital Warts After 1st Shot of Gardasil

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Doctor,

My genital wart history has been listed on this forum before.  In short, diagnosed in December 2009, had a couple 3-6 month clear periods.  Latest wart confirmed by Dermatologist on January 24, 2012 (frozen) and now I just found one today, March 22, 2012.  I did not want it there, so I rubbed it off in a similar manner described before on this forum (3 warts in the same spot before - twice rubbed off, once frozen on Dec 30, 2011).  Now I have a small open red spot on my skin where the wart was.

I recently found a girl that I am extremely into.  I convinced her to get her the 1st Gardasil shot before we had sex and I left immediately for out of town on business for 2 weeks to allow the immune system an opportunity to respond.  She is 29.  At this time I also got my 1st Gardasil shot, I am 26.

I am now due to come home in a few days and she is very excited to see me.  She was a little confused before why we did not have sex and I know now that I don't really have any other options to stall (at least none that I can think of that will put our relationship in jeaporady).  I know I cannot tell her I have genital warts, we simply won't work out.  We have not been going out that long.

As you can tell, it has been 2 years and 3 months and I have not gotten over the warts.  I have passed up a few good girls before and I don't want to keep doing it.

If I have protected sex with her in a couple days, assuming that today I had a genital wart, and knowing that she has already had her 1st gardasil shot and 14 days for it to respond, what do you think are the chances that I will pass genital warts to her?
There is no protection against HPV after the first Gardasil shot.  Some protection might be present starting 2-3 weeks after the second dose, but all 3 doses are needed for full protection.

However, by itself this doesn't mean you and your new partner cannot have sex.  If she is informed about your genital warts and is willing to take some risk of infection, then there is no reason you cannot begin a sexual relationship, especially with condoms.  Have an open and frank discussion with her about it, then make a joint decision about what sexual practices you wish to pursue.

I understand your concerns about HPV and genital warts.  However, MedHelp permits each user to post a maximum of two questions every 6 months on each of the professionally moderated forums (see Terms and Conditions), to prevent domination of the forum by small numbers of especially anxious users and/or anxiety driven questions.  This is your third on this forum since November and will have to be your last until this time next year, at the earliest.  Any before then will be deleted without reply, and without refund of the posting fee.  We'll also have to dispense with follow-up comments on this thread.

Regards--  HHH, MD
What are the chances of spreading genital warts when a condom is used when a wart is present or has been recently removed?  I would like to know your opinion or there is no way I can describe the risks she will be exposed to.

Please let me know your thouhts, your help will help me in having a relationship which has been void in my life for the past 2 yrs and 3 months because of this disease.
There are no data on this, but the transmission risk should be very low.

That's my last advice; I have nothing more to say.  Please try to move on.