STDs Expert Forum
Protected sex, but Too many symptoms :(

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Protected sex, but Too many symptoms :(

Hello dear Doctors,

I´ve been really depressed in the past 50 days. I´m from Brazil, and I have had protected oral and vaginal sex with sex worker (Please continue reading despite the "protected" word).

6 days later, I begin to feel ill and at the end of that day I was with severe sore throat and feeling with fever. The day after I went to ER, received anti-thermals in vein. The doctor said it some kind of viral infection. The sore throat was better in 3 days.

The next 2 weeks I felt:
- fadigue
- general body ill feeling
- lost of appettite
- lost of 5 kgs (11 pounds). I was very thin already, and was trying to force me to ate despite of my lack of appettite.
- hair loss
- low fever (37,5oC max)
- cough

After I got better from this, I started to feel very hungry. But gain no weight anyway.

I got tested at 1, 3, 4, 5 weeks (4th generation test), all negative. With the 37 days test negative, I started to feel psycological better again, until a new symptom appeared: General Itching (prurido) withoud rash in all over my body (all over from head to foot).

I went to ER again, took several blood tests and found nothing. The prurido lasted for 10 days (I took 5 days of anti-allergic medication).

I had another 4th generation test at 7 weeks, also negative.

Recently I have noted some lymph nodes in my groin (2 in each side), one in my left armpite and two in my collarbone (2 in each side). I dont know if I had this before. I dont know if they are really swollen, not sure if you can normally feel superfital lymph nodes.

I´m right now very scared and depressed, and suffering from insomnia as well. I lost another 1 kg during these days.

Hope if you have any advice.
Thank you.
Welcome to the Forum. It is time for you to stop worrying about HIV and to focus on other possibilities.  While that your sex was condom protected strongly suggest that you were protected from HIV and other STDs, your tests PROVE that this is not HIV.  There are many other things that could cause the sort of symptoms you describe  and rather than repeating tests that are already negative again and again, you should see a good internal medicine doctor for thorough evaluation of other possible causes of your symptoms.  It is normal to be able to feel lymph nodes and, if your lymph nodes are abnormally enlarged after the examination of your doctor, there are many possible causes other than HIV.  

I hope this comment helps.  EWH
Thanks for your answer Doctor.

I´ve been already to internal doctors and run a lot (a LOT) of urine and blood tests, from general scanning, diabetes, etc etc, tothyreoid tests, everything seens fine. This summed with the symptoms and the timing coincidence makes me think (and worry) about it...
about the Lymph, none of the checked my groin or collaborne (neither I was looking at it). I´ll ask for then to examine that.

How about the window? 7 weeks is pretty early to be sure, or am I mistaken?

Again, the issues of timing and symptoms are not relevant.  Your tests provie that you do not have HIV.  there is nothing to debate here. EWH
Dear Doctor,

Thank you for your help, I really wantto move on, but every time a new symptom appears I got worried again.

A couple of days ago a new one appeared: I have now in the surface of my tongue a red patch. it is in a large area of the tip, and is a flat area (without the regular dots of the tongue). I also feel a bitter or metallic taste in my mouth.
Do you think that it can be related? I´m at 9 weeks mark now.
Thank you.

Dear Doctor,

Thank you.

I'm sorry , it it time for this thread to end.  

Your test results are definitive. When symptoms and tests disagree, the test is virtually always right. When people cannot shake their concerns, they are sometimes replacing guilt and shame over their perceptions of their behavior with excessive vigilance.  Could this be part of your issue?  If so, you need to speak with a counsleor about Addressing this.  Believe your tests.  

EWH

Hope anybody can help me and share your toughts.
I still very concerned about the situation. Right now I have:
1. Insomnia - by this I mean I got to bed at midnight, fell sleep and wake up at 2:30am. Cant sleep anymore after that. I´ve been this for more then 45 days.

2. I still have this swollen lymph node in the right side of my collarbone.

3. I have a sinusitis going on for more than one month.

4. My girlfriend start suffering from insomnia as well. She also had a rash (2 month agos), and she is having now oral thrush (aphtha). I was not able to tell her what happened...

I can´t believe this is happenning, I was really stupid to do what I´ve did... I really though, at that time, that condoms were 100% effective...

Right now I feel desperate. I probably destroyed my life and the life of the person that I love.
Hello, Sorry for this FuP question, but I´m really desperate.

Hope you can help me and share your toughts.

These are not the symptoms of HIV.  You need to stop worrying and believe your tests.

There will be no further answers.  EWH