STDs Expert Forum
Protected sex...Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, PID

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hello Dr.s.  Thank you sincerely for this forum.
My wife is 44 years old, I'm 50, with one daughter.  Have been married for 11 years.  I am very concerned because my wife has developed symptoms that look like PID to my untrained eye (google searching).  A few weeks ago she told me that she had a dark, brownish discharge that she had never had before.  Then about a week to a week and a half ago she developed what she thought was yeast infection, but also thought it felt like UTI.  Discomfort and itching in vagina, frequent need to pee with burning I think, lower abdominal pain, but then also developed lower back pain.  Dr called in prescription for Cipro.  She took one 500mg and symptoms resolved. But then this week, a few days after those symptoms had resolved she started bleeding like she is having her period, but mid-cycle only two weeks after she had her regular period.  

Now, for me - the jerk head.  I have been to massage parlors. always covered.  but the girls usually had the condom in their mouths then rolled onto penis.  last protected vaginal sex was about 2 years ago.  Last protected oral (received at massage parlor) was about two months ago.  Have never had unprotected sex with anyone other than my wife over the past 11 years. Now after googling her symptoms and how PID is mostly caused by chlamydia and gonorrhea, I am very concerned that I could have contracted chlamydia or gonorrhea, which is now causing my wife's symptoms or PID.   I have never had symptoms.  What are your thoughts about theses symptoms and my exposure?  Hate myself!!!!  I have not slept in a week. Hate, hate, hate.
Welcome to the forum.

I don't think you should be worried at all. It is unlikely your wife has PID and I am quite confident her symptoms have absolutely nothing to do with your past non-marital sexual experiences.

The symptoms of PID are nonspecfic -- there are many other gynecologic conditions you could look up and see the same symptoms.  And your wife's don't really sound all that typical for PID anywya.  Also, PID is really rare at her age, regardless of what STDs women are exposed to.

And there is no chance you have any infection that could cause PID from protected vaginal sex 2 years is zero; by that time any and all such infections would have been cleared by your immune system. And oral sex is generally safe -- not totally risk free, but low risk for all STDs and zero for some.  The only one that would be likely to cause PID is gonorrhea, and that would have caused obvious symptoms in you -- pus dripping from your penis, usually with painful urination.

Your wife needs to continue to follow up with her gynecologist about her ongoing symptoms.  But as I said above, PID is unlikely and I am confident this has nothing to do with your other sexual exposures.  If you want still greater reassurance, you could visit your own doctor, or your local STD clinic, for examination and testing.  If you do so, you can expect the results to be negative.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Thank you Dr.  I did get tested.  Negative for both Gon and Chlamydia.  But could you answer a follow up about the test.  They were NAA test.  The concern I now have is that when I left my sample, I hadn't urinated for several hours, and did first capture, but I know I left a sample larger than I should have.  The LabCorp folks didn't specify, just gave me the container and pointed me to the bathroom.  I know I left at least 60 ml. Wouldn't be at all surprised if it was more than that.  Now have read that maximum catch should be 60 ml... So, do I now have to worry that I diluted the sample making it less sensitive with greater risk of false negative.  Or do I rest assured that the test was accurate?
The NAATs for gonorrhea and chlamydia are very forgiving; such details about specimen collection make no significant difference; your negative results are conclusive.

To give you an example:  When the first NAAT for chlamydia came to market about 15 years ago (the LCR test), the researcher who developed it claimed that if a sugar-cube size dose of chlamydia DNA were dropped into Lake Michigan and evenly distributed, a test on the lake water would be positive.  I'm not confident NAATs are quite THAT sensitive, but you get the idea.
Thank you.  I will put this to rest, but learn from my mistakes.  My wife and daughter deserve more.