STDs Expert Forum
Pubic hair bump

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Pubic hair bump

Please see my last post answered by Dr Hook for info as to my exposure..  I had this put behind me based on the good Drs answer but now I have noted a symptom and needed to ask for advice and for my education.  Where the abdomen meets the scrotum on the abdomen side amongst my public hair I have had a eraser sized red bump which was hard.  I did shave the area after my exposure and initially believed it to be and ingrown hair.  After 3 weeks the bump was still there and I was able to pop it..it was very difficult to pop and white puss along with blood came out of the bump.  I was unable to locate a hair.  Now after popping it the area is very sensitive and stings.  I have probably played with it to much but now it appears more like a lesion than a bump.  So because its in my pubic hair, it was a large hard red bump for weeks first, the white puss and blood, and based on my single low risk exposure what are the odds this is a herpes bump/sore.  There is only one but of course I'm anxious over this whole thing...just hoping for an honest answer.  I think the odds are small but I can't shake the thought.   Thanks in advance and does this change my need for testing?
Welcome back.  But I'm concerned that your inflated anxieties are continuing following a zero risk event with respect to any and all STDs.

As for "hoping for an honest answer", I hope you understand that every single one of our anwsers always is scientifically accurate to the best of our ability and of course entirely honest.

Neither herpes nor any other STDs first show up with a lesion like you describe. The location is wrong (in a hair-bearing area); the large size is wrong; and no STD presents with such a skin bump that drains pus.  You clearly had folliculitis, an infected sebaceous cyst, or something like that.  It has nothing to do with your strip club adventure described in the other thread.

Please note MedHelp's rule about a maximum of 2 questions every 6 months on each of the professionally moderated forums (see Terms and Conditions). This will have to be your last one on this forum before next August.  I don't want you to risk a non-refundable posting fee on a question that would be deleted without reply.

HHH, MD
Thanks for the quick reply and I will adhere to the 6 month rule.  I appreciate your expertise again and I apologize for being so worried over this.  Thanks again and hopefully you won't ever hear don me again