STDs Expert Forum
Question about Molluscum (MC)
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Question about Molluscum (MC)

Dear Forum M.D. HHH,

Last summer, my boyfriend had MC in the groin and lower stomach area, but not actually on his genitals.  Discarding the idea that it could be an STI - we've been in a committed relationship for nearly three years - we did some research and decided it was folliculitis.  He had lesions for about 2 months, and I believe that I contracted it as well.  

I say that I "believe" I contracted it as well because I had a few lesions in my pubic hair area.  I never went to the doctor because the lesions went away and I wasn't bothered by them.  Please keep in mind that we assumed this was folliculitis.

Well, my boyfriend had it much worse than I did - up to 25 lesions at a time - so he went to his doctor after about 2 months.  Diagnosis: MC.  The doctor scraped off the lesions and after a few weeks we were completely rid of the problem.  

My question:  In your answer to "justanotherguy" you said that MC manifested in the groin region of adults is "almost entirely sexually acquired."  Considering that I have never been unfaithful to my boyfriend, should I be suspicious that he was?  

Of course he swears he never messed around on me, and although we're in a long-distance relationship I believed him.  
Having read elsewhere that MC as an STI is "trivial," I thought maybe he got it at at his gym.  So, what do you think?  What are the chances he contracted MC by any means other than sex?  Obviously, I need to know the truth in order to protect myself from possibly acquiring a "less trivial" STI from him in the future.  

Thank you for your attention.