Question about Secondary Syphilis Recovery
I have received a 10-day intramuscular injection of penicillin for the treatment of secondary syphilis. (infection duration: about 6 months) During the middle of the treatment, the red rash has been cleared up. However, a few days after the end of the penicillin treatment, the red rashes appear again in my thighs while some on-and-off appearance on my front arm. (mostly appear when I sweat and feel hot, may disappear or subside when cool down). I am so scared and can't wait until the re-test after one month. Could anybody give me some advice?? What should be expected after the treatment of penicillin? Is this kind of skin rash re-occurrence normal??

Please help!!
You were given meds for 10 days?  Do you know the dose and the actual name of the medication?  For secondary syphilis, the treatment is Benzathine penicillin G 2.4 million units IM in a single dose.

You need to contact your doctor.   I'm not sure what medication you got, and since you have symptoms again, you need to follow up.   If the rash on your thighs isn't coming and going like the rash on your arms, it could be a syphilis rash, or the whole thing could be a reaction to the meds, or a fungal infection (common after being on antibiotics).

Good luck!
Dear Auntiejessie,

Thanks for your kind reply. I received 10-day intramuscular injection of Procaine Penicillin on my buttock. This is the recommended treatment for primary and secondary syphilis in Hong Kong. Do you think procaine penicillin is effective?? Right now I am so scared. I don't know what to do. As I read more info about syphilis in the internet, I become more scared. Normally, how long should it take for a secondary syphilis patient to be completely cured??
I looked up procaine penicillin, and that is Benzathine penicillin with a local numbing agent in it to prevent pain from the injection.  10 days is way over treating, and I'd really wonder if you have a fungal infection from 10 days of antibiotics.

You really need to see your doctor.

It can take up to a few months for syphilis to be gone totally, but you shouldn't be getting new symptoms from it.  Please see your doctor.

Aj