STDs Community
Question about testing at Planned Parenthood.

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

I had my last sexual encounter on August 31. I received and gave unprotected oral sex to a old friend of mines who is a girl. I began to experience possible symptoms of herpes such as fatigue, body aches, and  a fever 2 days after the encounter but I dont know if that was just me over working myself up and being stressed about it. It has now been 7 weeks since the encounter. Is this enough time to test for Herpes and the other STDs? I'm not really worried about HIV as we only participated in oral sex and I read the chance of contracting HIV is really really low with oral sex. I'm just worried about the other STDs. When getting a STD test from Planned Parenthood would they be knowledgeable in all of the STDs and quickly examine me or would it just be a nurse taking blood? I have no insurance and I do not have the funds to go for a full check up at my doctors office. How much would a STD test cost as well at Planned Parenthood?
Planned Parenthood (at least the one I went to) only tested for the STD's I thought I might have had, and they are expensive ($65.00 for 2 tests and the office fee). You should check out your local county health deptment. Ours offers a sliding fee and tested for many STD's, including HIV which is nice when you are not too sure what you may have. Also all the medication you recieve is included in the cost. I paid $39.00 for all the tests and medication. It really saves money but you would probably spend the afternoon there waiting (and its VERY worth the wait) I'm a student so I don't make a lot of money, and they also offer other services as well at sliding fee rates. I'm actaully going back for my annual physical... I highly reccommend looking into it before Planned Parenthood
thank you for your information. i just looked up my county health department so im going to get tested there. again thank you for informing me as i too am a student with very little money to spend.
I agree totally.  Good luck at the health dept - they are usually free or very low cost.

Aj