STDs Expert Forum
Questions on HSV2/HPV transmission
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Questions on HSV2/HPV transmission

My girlfriend and I met approximately 4 months ago.  This is a long distance relationship (approx 5 hrs), however, we do see each other about every other week and we both desire this to work out. Obviously, a long distance relationship, by its very nature, carries a risk.  We haven't had intercourse up to this point as I've been apprehensive in doing so as she was diagnosed with HSV2 approximately 5 years ago after an unprotected encounter.  She also informed me she was diagnosed w/ HPV around the same time.  A few questions:

1) It is my understanding HPV is of no concern as I've likely acquired it myself at some point.  Would the strain she acquired even be transmissible at this point and should I even worry about acquiring HPV?

2) My greater concern lies w/ the possibility of getting HSV2.  As her initial infection occurred approximately 5 years ago and she only had the initial symptoms w/ no recurrences to this date, is it possible she was misdiagnosed?  She does have a blood test at home she could take to confirm this.  Do you think it would be a good idea for her to take the test as she has never taken a blood test before?

3) Assuming a test does reveal she has HSV2, how effective is condom use in preventing transmission?  Would it be more effective to couple this w/ a suppressive therapy?

4) One more question.  Is there a chance of acquiring HSV2 through oral sex?  If so, I'm assuming the virus does not migrate?  Should I even be worried about performing oral sex?

I'm wanting this relationship to work out, just wondering if I'm being overly worried here.  Your answers to these questions are much appreciated.

Thank you!!!!