STDs Expert Forum
Rash in groin area, could it be herpes

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Rash in groin area, could it be herpes

About 3 months ago I had intercourse with a female who turned out to have herpes.  She visited her Gyno 2 days before intercourse, had an exam done, nothing out of the ordinary, and she had her yearly std/blood tests done.  3 days after intercourse she was told her blood tests came back positive for herpes simplex II.  Im not sure what test was used.  I paniced! During intercourse the condom broke and i was exposed unprotected for about 1-2 minutes. I saw my GP at 9 days, 15, and at 45 days.  the 9 day exam, my GP reccomended all tests done all came back negative.  He said it was unlikely that i contracted herpes from the exposure.  He made me come in for a 15 day exam as well to see if there was anything out of the ordinary in my genital region such as lesions, bumps, ect.  Nothing out of the ordinary.  He didnt suggest any further testing.  I wanted another HIV test to be sure, so i had one at 45 days which was negative.  She said she was tested for everything and HSVII was only thing positive.

Its been about 3 months and for about the past week, I have noticed in the crevice of my groin/leg, there are little  red bumps.  They are not clumped together in clusters.  They look more like pimples without a white head on them.  There are also two small white patches, appearing to be dry skin.  They are not fluid filled, they dont itch, and they are not sore.  They dont seem to change any, and they do not ooze any type of puss or anything. One or two has come off like dry skin after a few days, and they DONT scab up.  Some have gone away.  But some appear to be bumps.  Could this be herpes?  Its been 3 months and this is the first time ive noticed anything out of the ordinary.  My GP told me that if i was infected, i almost certainly have noticed symptoms within the 10 day timeframe after exposure, and he would have seen this in the exam.

I thought it could be folliculitis, but the bumps dont appear to be on any hair follicles. It also could be dermatitis. I just dont know.

To add, i dont have anything on my testicals or the shaft of my penis.  Im puzzled at what this could be, actually really scared.  Im making an appointment to see my GP tomorrow but wanted some feedback before hand.  Id appreciate the help Doc.
Your GP was right:  the chance is very low that you caught herpes from the exposure you describe.  Among mongamous couples in which one person has herpes and the other does not, who have unprotected sex 2-3 times per week, transmission occurs to the other partner in only 5% of couples per year.  So the risk for each episode of sex is very low.  The symptoms you describe do not sound much like herpes, but I cannot try to make a specific diagnosis on line; you sh ould follow up with your own doctor.

Good luck--- HHH, MD
1 Comment
A related discussion, Stumped was started.
A related discussion, Red Sores was started.