STDs Expert Forum
Re-examine bump on penis?
About This Forum:

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Re-examine bump on penis?


Thank you for taking the time to answer questions on this site. I developed a small bump on my penis in early December '08. After hoping it would just go away, I did the smart thing and had an exam with my doctor in January. He quickly glanced at it and, combined with my very conservative sexual history (4 partners, 95% time protected), diagnosed it as a swollen sebaceous gland that may or may not go away. I was also tested for all stds detectable in blood and came back negative. Not sure about herpes, but as the bump still exists today, I imagine herpes is ruled out.

On to my question...the bump is still on my penis. The shape has not changed noticeably. It somewhat resembles a pimple, but I have tried squeezing it, and nothing comes out/feels like it is trying to come out. It is much less noticeable when erect. It is not painful. In the 3.5 months it has been there, I have masturbated, had oral, and vaginal sex. If this were HPV, could I expect it to have grown/spread? As I have had sex with only one partner in the last 5 years and know her to not be a carrier (I was her first), could I be one of the few with extreme delayed onset of genital warts? Most importantly would you recommend I have this re-examined? By the same doctor or a dermatologist? I know the doctor said enlarged sebaceous glands sometimes do not subside, but the doubt of whether the examination was thorough enough is killing me.

Thanks so much.
Related Discussions
  • sebaceous cyst (1 replies):
    How are you guys, i recently had been checked by two...[more]
  • uti and hpv (1 replies):
    About a year ago my girl friend had alot of pain in her ...[more]
  • ok (6 replies):
    HI, I'm 14 years old and i have these bumps on my scrotu...[more]
  • Which STD? (2 replies):
    I'm 18 years old and I am a virgin. When I was about 13 ...[more]
  • sebaceous glands (3 replies):
    HI, for as long as i can remember i have had bumps aroun...[more]
The deciding factor in what I would suggest for you to do is that your are concerned and worried about this lesion.  From your description it could be either a wart of a persistent sebaceous gland cyst.  Both can stay, unchanged for rather long periods of times. Given your sexual history however, I favor the sebaceous cyst.  My advice would be that rather than to worry about it, you should see a dermatologist.  He/she can both provide you with a diagnosis and help to get rid of it is you wish.

Hope this helps.  Please let us know what the dermatologist says.  EWH
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.Blank
University of Washington
Seattle, WA
MedHelp Health Answers
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
TMJ/TMJ The Connection Between Teet...
Jan 27 by Hamidreza Nassery , DMD, FICOI, FAGDBlank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank