STDs Expert Forum
Realistic Chances of Catching STD?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Realistic Chances of Catching STD?

Hi Doctor,

First, let me say how thankful I am for your providing of this service.

Now, last week I was at a bachelor party for a friend. Got a little drunk and ended up having unprotected oral sex with an escort hired for the party. The oral was both ways. Afterwards, we had protected sex and there was a lot of kissing. I washed up immediately afterwards. Went back down to the party, got a few more drinks, and eventually had sex with another hired girl (same thing - unprotected oral and protected vaginal). Not my smartest night ever. I know that oral is relatively safe sex and so is protected vaginal, but what did I put myself at risk for and realistically what are the chances I caught something?

Thanks Doctor.
Welcome to the Forum.  It would be incorrect for me to say that there is no risk from this exposure but the risk is low,  Here are the facts:

1.  Statistically it is unlikely that your partner had an STD of any sort.
2.  If she did, most, most exposures to infected partners do not result in infection.
3.  There is no risk for STD from kissing, virtually none from condom protected vaginal sex, and little risk from either giving or receiving oral sex.  

So, what would I do?  I doubt that there is any great urgency for you to get immediately tested.  On the other hand, it is probably a good idea and good for your peace of mind to go on and get tested for the major STDs of concern.  These are tests for gonorrhea, chlamydia and non-gonococcal urethritis.  I hope my comments are helpful.  EWH