STDs Expert Forum
Rectal Chlamydia

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Rectal Chlamydia

I recently had a positive test for rectal chlamydia.  I tested negative for Chlamydia in my penis.  I am a straight male and, my question is, whether I am at risk of transmitting the infection to my girlfriend through vaginal or oral sex (or other casual contact e.g., kissing, sharing the same bed, toilet)?  Do you recommend that my girlfriend obtain chlamydia treatment as well?

Thank you

Welcome to the Forum.  I must admit, I'm not sure why you were tested for chlamydia at the rectum unless you had particpated in rectal sexual activity.  Women are sometimes tested in such situations but to test a man who has not been exposed for rectal chalmydia is rather uncommon.

Be that as it may be, if you have chlamydia… anywhere, the safest thing to do would be for your GF, as well as any other recent sex partners to be treated.  Sometimes this leads to treatment of people who are not infected but as a generalization based on bad experiences when people guessed wrong it the past, we would recommend possible over treatment in these situations.  I would treat her and urge that this be done before you have sex again.

I hope this comment is helpful. EWH
Thank you for your prompt response Doctor Hook.  The reason I decided to have a rectum test is because I was worried about an experience where I had protected vaginal sex.  There was no ejaculation, but after sex the girl put the condom around her finder and touched around my rectum area for perhaps less than a minute. Is this a likely, or possible, way to transmit STDs to the rectum?

Thanks for the clarification.  Transmission of any STD in this way  would be most unusual but I suppose is theoretically possible (unlike for HIV).  As I said beforre in this unusual situation my advice would be for both you and your GF to be treated.

EWH