STDs Community
Recurrent Bacterial Vaginosis - most commonly after sex? Help...

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Some background - I have had the same sexual partner for 2 years.  I have been known to develop bacterial vaginosis infections from time to time but now it is increasingly prevalent.  Although I had the same sexual partner for 2 years, we only saw each other every couple months and most of these times, I would develop a bacterial infection.  Now it is more often, and I can't seem to get rid of them.  I was treated with Flagyl, which would clear up the infection and I would be noticeably back to normal.  As soon as I had sex again, the bacterial infection would come right back with a noticeable change in odor, from odorless to a faint fishy smell.  I know it is widely said there is no male counterpart to bacterial vaginosis, but this is ridiculous.  I am so frustrated.  Other than abstaining from sex, I do not know what to do.  Is there any sort of treatment for men at all, just to try?!  I HAVE been tested for STD's and other than HPV, there is nothing.  I have an appointment to see my doctor, but not for several weeks.  

Thanks.
Hi there -

BV is a bear to get rid of, isn't it?

I would look at what you are using during and after sex that might be causing this.  Are you using lube?  Lubricated condoms?  Are you using any kind of wipes (baby, feminine, cleansing) to clean up after?  What about soaps?  Scented soaps?  Scented toilet paper?  

Its probably not the sex itself that is causing this, but something you do during or after sex that you don't do any other time.  Anything that causes the delicate balance of the good and bad bacteria can cause bv, and all of those things I listed can do that.

AJ
Actually, none of that.  We don't use condoms, no lube, no scented tampons, pads, wipes, toilet paper.  Soaps don't bother me.  I always go to the bathroom before or after.  See what I mean?  It's a mystery.  I wonder if I'm allergic to male bodily fluids?!  That sounds crazy but I just don't know what else could be going on.  The BV comes back right after sex.  I definitely need to see my doctor, that is for sure... I just wish I had some sort of idea what could alleviate this.  
Have you tried using condoms to see if that helps?  If its the body fluid thing, then using condoms might help alleviate it.

I'm sorry - I know how frustrating this can be.  :(

GracefromHHP who usually posts in the herpes forum, but does post here, recommends a product called femdophilous.  Check www.jarrow.com and see if you can find a place that sells it locally.  If not, you can order it online.  She is another that has recurrent bv.  I do too, but she gets it far more often than I do.  Its the only probiotic that has been proven to colonize in the urogenital tract.  It might help prevent it for you.

AJ

Thanks for the tip.  I recently had cryosurgery too so I'm wondering if that's why this infection seems to be worse than any other ones.  I'm going to the dr. tomorrow.  
Also, no I haven't tried condoms in a long time... but it may come to that if this keeps up.  Hopefully the doctor will have some words of wisdom for me tomorrow.
Oh yeah - I'm sure the cryo has something to do with it.

Good luck at the doc.

AJ
I went to the dr and she said my cervix seemed normal - healing.  She gave me a prescrip for Flagyl and said although it is uncommon to treat the male partner, it couldn't hurt to cover all our bases.  So she gave me enough pills for both of us to take it.  She's sending away for official results, but said on my last visit they found an increase in gardnerella, which accounted for my last BV infection.  Sigh!  What a complicated place.
Oh YAY!!!  You have an awesome doc.  She actually is going to treat your partner.  She's right, its not likely your partner has anything, but why not treat him in case?

Good luck!  Keep me posted.
It IS very likely that your partner has or had it if he wasn't treated for it with your previous infections. BV is a result from anal sex or if your partner even rubs his penis against you anal area and then you have vaginal sex. Where do you think the bacteria came from? DO NOT drink alcohol with Flagyl or it won't work. And whatever you do, DO NOT ******, or you will be in a world of hurt like I am now.
take care with vaginal cleansers you could wash away the good bacteria that fights the bad bacteria (BV).
BV is not from anal sex.  That would be an e coli infection.  BV is caused when the bad bacteria - maybe gardnerella - has a chance to overgrow.  I've never had anal sex and have had several occurences of BV.

AJ

HI-
Went to the dr. on wed. to be tested..waiting for the results is truly killing me..
He stated that he thinks I have BV and looked under the microscope. He gave me flagyl bid x5..but stated that does not rule out any stds...I still have not had any symptons except for abnormal discharge, an uncalled for odor(bad)though sometimes I cant smell it.The thing that is bothering me is the abnormal bleeding...sometimes is a light pink mixed in with the discharge other times its bright red..then brown at times but not enough to have to wear anything but a lightday.Sometimes I feel some cramping but then I think it just may be in my head...sorry this sounds crazy but my nerves are shot. Any help with this is appreciated...
Also with the flagyl side effects as far as the discoloration of urine/feces..what color is it primarily?
I need a drink so bad but of course with flagyl you can not have it...
** -

I am going to copy and paste this to your other thread, and will respond there.  Its helpful to us if you keep all your questions to one thread.

Thanks!

I am a 33 yr old female who has and still is with same man for 6 years;  Ive have had my tubes clamped and the novasure surgery, but ever since my tubes have been clamped I have had un countable bacterial infections! Me and my finace` have been tested and everything, NOTHING!  The doctors have no answer, just the good and bad bateria story! I get so frustrated because they have no answer just that script of Flagyl also! Ive noticed also that after it clears up, it only comes back after sex!! I dont use condoms, or any scented stuff down there at all. I dont have a period anymore thank goodness because of the Novasure surgery, but I still get BV all the time!! Ive kindof learned to live with it and that really sucks!!
BV is not a result of anal contact!!! BV is a result of the change in ph in the good normal healthy bacteria residing in the vagina. Many different things have been proven to cause this PH change. For many, including myself, semen itself changes the ph of my bacteria and results in vaginosis everytime. There are other things that can cause the change such as scented washes, tampons/pads, douches etc. while flagyl/ metrogel will work, try floragen! Works wonders too! (or eat tons if yogurt) good luck!
Can you give an update from your last response? Since your partner took pills did this help prevent future cases of BV? Also did use of condoms help?
I've had the same issue for two years now. Using condoms helped me 100% of the time. Eating tons of yogurt and regularly taking probiotic pills helped a little, but not 100% effective. Still trying to figure out how to prevent bv when I want to have sex without a condom.