STDs Community
Red Bumps and Sore Throat

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Red Bumps and Sore Throat

I developed cold symptoms about 2 weeks ago, starting with a sore throat, then a stuffy nose, and then a slight "itchy" cough. The cough subsided within 4 days, and the stuffy nose practically subsided, but I STILL have a sore throat. It seems to act up at night the most, and during the day it almost goes away to the point where I feel perfectly fine. I went to the doctor the other day about it and they did a culture swab on my throat to test for Strep and the results came back negative. The doctor wasn't entirely sure what it was and just said it was part of the cold that was just "sticking around" still. She is having me take 1 Pseudoephedrine 120mg tablet every 12 hours and drink plenty of water. I've been doing that and it seems to not be getting any better, if anything it's getting worse. I still have red bumps on the back of my throat and my glands/lymph nodes are still a little swollen.

What could this possibly be??!?! I'm concerned it's an early sign of an STD. I had unprotected sex about a month ago (2 weeks prior to getting the cold/prolonged sore throat).

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
this is not a std. you have an upper respiratory i nfection. it's that time of the year.

grace
should a sore throat last this long though if it's merely an upper respiratory infection? Keep in mind I tested negative for strep, and I have had no fever.
In addition I've been getting stomach pain now, in my bowels. Last night and this morning I had to go to the bathroom after the stomach pain and had diarrhea... Should I be concerned about this? Is this linked to my prior conditions, or possibly due to taking the Pseudoephedrine 120mg tablets every 12 hours?

Thanks!
UPDATE: stomach pain seems to have subsided and bowel movements seem fine (I looked up side effects of Pseudoephedrine and stomach cramps and diarrhea were listed, so that may have been a contributing factor to that small episode). However, my throat is still sore, once again got worse at night. Pseudoephedrine pills seem to be doing absolutely nothing. I've been continually drinking water and monitoring my temperature (which remains to be at or below 98.6). My lymph nodes in the sides of my neck are definitely slightly enlarge (most noticeably on the left side). I also took a deeper look into the back of my throat: I still have red bumps on the back wall of my throat but there seems to also be small red bumps on my tonsils and sides of the back of my tongue (though I'm not sure if these are just the normal papillae).

Any idea what the heck is going on?!
Get some chloraseptic for your throat and drink plenty of fluids.  It is probably a virus that just needs to go away on its own.  Someone I know just got over a cold virus she had for 2 and a half weeks.  So yes, it is possible to have a sore throat for this long.  Also, the pseudoephedrine mostly helps with congestion (stuffy, runny nose, sinus pressure). Your sore throat could be caused by this as well.
Thanks, oddly enough I got a call today from my doctor that did the culture swab and she informed me that they checked it again and Strep Group C began to show up. Which apparently is uncommon in humans (most common in animals), so I'm not really sure how I managed to get that! I'm picking up penicillin today to take for 10 days, hopefully this will put an end to my sore throat and sickness!
UPDATE: I'm onto day 2 of using the Penicillin VK (I am taking 1 500mg pill three times a day). I've currently taken 3, the next I will take in the evening. Just wondering if it's coincidence or a side effect of the Penicillin that I've been having a pressure headache off/on since I started taking them. I've been eating so it's not due to a lack of food. Should I be concerned about this? On another note, I woke up without my throat hurting, which is a good sign. However, the bumps on my throat are still present. It's only been a day, so I'm not expecting much. Will update as I continue my dosage of Penicillin.

If anyone has any input about the headaches though, please let me know! Thanks!
Read the information that your pharmacist gave you on the penicillin.  If not visit drugs.com or rxlist.com.
UPDATE: Day 3 of Penicillin VK. I've taken 6 pills so far. Sore throat is nonexistent, BUT red bumps are still on the back of my throat, they haven't seem to gone down any. Lymph nodes in neck still seem slightly swollen. Is this typical? When should I start to see improvements in my throat?

Thanks!
UPDATE: Still taking the Penicillin VK three times a Day, but seeing very little improvements. My throat remains to have bumps on it. Sore throat seems to be gone, but today I woke up with a slight feeling in the right side that it was back... What is going on?!
this is not a std issue so this isn't the forum to continue asking all these questions in .

grace
I know I was diagnosed with Strep Group C, but I'm concerned these symptoms are early signs of an STD due to the fact that they are not clearing up, and aren't exact to what typical Strep symptoms are (ie. - fever, white bumps, etc.). I have no fever, or white bumps, instead I have flesh colored bumps in the back of my throat that have not gone away for 3 weeks now. I've also noticed as of lately, small, painless red bumps on my fingers and hands. I currently have counted 7 on my left hand (1 on pinky, 2 on index, 1 on middle, 1 on pointer, and 2 on the palm side of my thumb) and 5 on my right hand (2 on pointer and 3 on middle). They are NOT itchy, and seem to be from under the skin as they are only slightly raised and just red. They kind of have the same feeling of a splinter when pressure is applied.

Hopefully this clarifies why I'm posting in this forum, and if you have any input that would be greatly appreciated!
This not an early sign of any std. Do you really want someone to tell you that you have an std?  I'd rather not.  Why don't you try to stop obsessing about it and give your mind and body a chance to heal.  Stressing about std's or anything at all can weaken your immune system and cause you to be slower in healing.  Good luck to you.
Thanks, I know I'm being ridiculous. I'm just having trouble controlling my anxiety :(

Thanks for trying to help, I really do appreciate it.
You don't have to apologize to anyone.. the person claiming you can't speak about this is wrong - you should be able to discuss any issue or concern you are having here.  Hope your throat has cleared up and you are okay.  =)
U could just be having a reaction to the pinacillion and that's y u had the head ace and the bumps on ur hands I know its a totally different subject but I'm allergic to kiwis and when I. Found that out I got a head ace my lips swelled and the next day I woke up and I had watery blister like things on my hNds and neck for about two three days but it's possible your just stressing out a little much and it is stressing ur body out so ur amunsystem is weakening so probly what the best thing to do is call ur doctor and tell them these semtyms that ur haveing and get aloooot of rest ur body heals quickest when u sleep..

But wish u the best and get well soon

Sorry for any spelling errors..