STDs Community
"Red Dots" Rash: candida Balanitis/herpes ?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

"Red Dots" Rash: candida Balanitis/herpes ?

Hello Doctors,

First thank you for your time. Hoping to get an opinion regarding some very disconcerting symptoms ive been having lately (for reference,  I am a 24 y/o heterosexual male)

I recently (2 weeks ago) had unprotected sex with a new girlfriend after we agreed to be exclusive who assured me she was "completely clean" but who i know has "been around". I had been tested prior to this for STDS and everything has come back negative, including IgG tests for HSV1 and HSV2 (I have never had outbreaks/cold sores, etc). Additionally, this girl is only the second person i have slept with (my previous longterm girlfriend an I were both virgins and never had any problems). The day following sex, my penis felt irritated around the head (specifically, the corona / sulcus of the penis). There appeared to be some redness and irritation but i assumed that it was simply some chafing from the sex.

Four Days later, i started having more irritation/pain upon urination and i began to experience some urethritis symptoms, i.e. dysuria, but no discharge. I went and got checked out by my PCP who did a culture swab of the urethra and a urinalysis. Swab test for ghonorrea and chlamydia were negative, swab for HSV viral titer  was negative and leukocyte esterase was also negative, so although the PCP hasnt given me his diagnosis it doesnt appear to due a bacterial infection.

Now, to the point of this post, I have noticed red spots or small rashlike areas that are solely located on the corona / sulcus of the glans (glands) and are bilateral around the glans (glands). The dots are not raised and there are no weepy blisters or vesicular appearance as far as i can tell.  They are always visible but kind of "come and go", and are much more noticable after masturbation. THere is a general feeling of irritation on the penis head, but no excruciating pain or anything. THere are no other lesions/blisters/rashes elsewhere on my penis or groin. this irritation has persisted for at least 1 week.

My questions are:

1) Do you think this could be  a nonclassical case of HSV infection? It seems to me it would be very mild for a primary HSV outbreak with no history of HSVI or HSVII but i dont really know...

2) I think it may be a balanitis/yeast infection as i've seen some other posts on this site where people express nearly identical symptoms but i dont know. The 2% clotrimazole cream ive been applying for 3 days (4/day) doesnt really seem to be doing too much...what can i do?

3) I have a history of skin psoriasis/dermatitis on my shoulders/back that typically only occurs in the winter when very cold, dry weather , but have never had any irritation on my penis. I am doubtful it could be this as it only occured after having unprotected sex with this girl but i am trying to consider all possibilities.

I know that diagnosing disease over the internet is very difficult but your posts here on Medhelp.com seem to be very level headed and supremely helpful so i thought id try to get your opinion on my symptoms. Thank you so much