STDs Expert Forum
Red Sores on Foreskin

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Red Sores on Foreskin

A few nights ago I had sex unprotected sex with my wife.  It was just typical sex, nothing out of the ordinary.  It wasn't rough or vigorous.  The next day, I noticed my penis was a little irritated and little tingly and itchy throughout the day.  The next morningI noticed that I have these small red sores on my foreskin.  Nothing on the penis, it just seems to be on the foreskin.  Now it doesn't really bother me, unless these sores are touched or aggitated.  I also noticed that when I urinate, the stream is weak and maybe a little cloudy.  There is no burning sensation when I urinate.  I'm worried that this might be some sort of STD or herpes.  I have had numerous sex partners in the past, but I've never had unprotected sex, unless I was in a committed safe relationship.  I have had unprotected oral sex (receiving) but never unprotected sexual intercourse.  I have been reading online that some STDs can lay dormat for years without any symptoms (or some symptoms may go unnoticed).  I also read that you can get STD and herpes from unprotected oral sex.  I'm just worried that some of my past adventures may come back to haunt me.  What possibly could these red sores be?  Could I possibly have some sort of STD?  Should I go get tested?  Please help    

The sore spots you describe bring two things to mind, fissures or herpes (HSV).  As far as which, my advice would be to see a health care provider sooner than later.  In that context, no matter what they look like, I would culture them as well as perhaps do a blood test for HSV.  Several other comments

1.  If they heal in a day or two, this makes them more likely to be fissures than herpes.  Things happen and even despite the normality of your last encounter, that could explain them.
2.  If the sores are cultured or a PCR test is done and is positive. this his herpes.  As you point out, this not mean that it has been acquired recently.  Unfortunately, if the tests are negative, that does not 100% rule out HSV.
3.  If you get a blood test for HSV, do not waste your time with an IgM test- they are of little use and be sure that the test that is performed is a gG-specific test such as the HerpeSelect.  If it is positive, that does not necessarily mean that your sores are herpes.
4. Finally, you are better off sharing that you have a sore and do not know what it is but are going to get it checked out now, than waiting till you have more answers.  No matter what they turn out to be.

Hope this helps.  EWH
How worried should I be that this may be herpes?  As I mentioned before, I have never had unprotected sexual intercouse with someone that I wasn't in a safe committed relationship.  I have had unprotected oral sex but that hasn't been anything recently.  I'm just worried that I may have contracted herpes a long time ago and never knew about it, and have potentially put my wife in harms way
It seems unlikely but stranger things have happened.  No real way to say more than this without testing, as I said.  EWH
Thanks for your help.  This forum is great.  Keep up the good work