STDs Expert Forum
Red bump on penis

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Red bump on penis

Hello,  about week ago i discovered a small red bump on the left upper side of my shaft.  Its not in the middle of my shaft but closer to where the hair grows.  I thought it was a pimple so i left it alone and put neosporian on it, but it still hasn't gone away.  I have tried popping it and it doesnt pop either, it just bleeds.  About 5 months i had 3 warts, 2 right next to my scrotum on my inner thigh and 1 actually on the scrotum, the doctor prescribed me Condylox, and they went away and i haven't had any problems since.  I didnt have any on my shaft.  Then about 3 months ago i had unprotected sex with a girl i didnt know and was diagnosed with Chlamydia, which the docter gave me the three pills and it went away fine.  About 2 weeks ago i had a good size pimple underneath my shaft which i popped and a bunch of yellow and white fluid came out and that his since decreased in size and i cant tell i even had it there.

Could this be another wart? Or just another pimple?  Or could I have contracted herpes from the women i had unprotected sex with and it just took three months to show up?  If it is a wart or herpes wouldn't i have more than just one small red bump?  Should i give it a few more days before i go see the doctor.  Thank you in advance for helping me with this and easing my mind.
Your description does not sound like herpes.  Whether you have garden-variety pimples or something a little more complicated, such as infected sebaceous cysts, I cannot tell. It doesn't sound like a genital wart either.  Molluscum contagiosum seems a possibility, especially if the lesions are shiny pink or have a dimple in the center; and also if squeezing them produces a hard white core followed by brisk bleeding.  MC is a minor, often (but not always) sexually acquired condition.  More info is available through this forum's search link.

As you suggest, the way to know for sure is to see a health care provider.  If the present lesion clears up promptly, wait and see if something similar occurs again--but if that happens, see a provider right away.  The sooner you are examined after onset, the easier it will be for the provider to accurately judge what it is.  But if the bump persists a few more days, see a provider (before you squeeze or otherwise maniuplate it)  In the meantime, neither herpes nor warts sound likely.

Good luck-- HHH, MD
I had a similar pimple that wouldn't pop last week on my penis. I took my finger nails and pulled the top of it off and it started bleeding. Ive been putting rubbing alcohol on it. I think its moluscum (molluscum). I caught moluscum (molluscum) 7 years ago and had it ever since, the only thing is it changed in appearance over the years. Now its flatter and larger and leaves a bigger scar. It still has the white core inside. Was hoping my body would build up an immunity but that hasn't happened yet. I think I might have it in the back of my mouth even.
A related discussion, WHAT IS THIS ON THE PENIS? was started.
A related discussion, Red spots shaving and am a vergin was started.
A related discussion, 3 red spots on penis was started.
I have a simular issue doc. I have a small, pen size redish mole like spot on the head of my penis, just to the left of my uryethra. I have scraped it once on accident on zipper, and once on purpose. It is slightly raised, and when I scraped it, it started bleeding bad, almost like I hit an artery, or a vein. I've been with 2 woman in 15 years, and I have never cheated on either of them. I know it can't be an std, but its been there as long as I can remember, but has me freaked out a little. What could it be?
Doesn't hurt, and there is no white head like a pimple, it is a pen size redish spot, slightly raised. Nothing other than blood comes out, and almost pulsates like. After applying pressure for a few min, it stops bleeding, but spot returns. I don't understand why it would bleed so much, unless it is a mole, I know moles bleed a lot. Can somebody help me figure it out. I am way to embaraced to ask my female doctor to look at it, and embaraced to even ask on here.