STDs Expert Forum
Red lesion inner thigh - what can it be?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

4 days ago I discovered a red lesion on my inner thigh.  It is about 6 cm from the outer labia, slightly in the direction of my bottom.  It is about the size of my middle finger's nail.  At first I thought I had scratched a spot during the night, but when I looked at it it seemed to be something else.  Something like an insect bite or a burn, but cannot remember any such incidents.  

From what I could read on the net I thought about herpes, and to myself I called it a blister, but when I looked up in a dictionary what a blister is (I am no a native english speaker) I realized that is not what I have really, so maybe it is not herpes.  

The lesion is not hard, and has not developed a scab.  The whole area is red. It is more or less dry, but in the centre, in a kind of L - form or circular form it is slightly moist with I think some translucent puss. I would not say it has a lumpy form, but the area is probably a little elevated from the area around because I notice when I touch it, but also partly due to the unevenness of the skin there.  It does not hurt to touch, unless you rub it with some force.

I do not think it has changed much since I got it.  Maybe slightly better today, but that could be imaginary.  

7 and 8 days before I noticed it I had several times sex with a random guy, mostly with a condom, but also for a few seconds without (pathetic I know).  

I am always healty, but lately suffered from a lingering cough for 7 weeks so probably my defense system is down.  

What do you think this could be, do you think it could be herpes?
Herpes is a possibility, but from your description I don't think it is very likely.  But if it's herpes, it probably isn't the initial infection--i.e., not caught from your recent new partner.  Hard to say much else without seeing it; perhaps psoriasis (especially if it is partly dry and flaky) or a fungal dermatitis.  If it doesn't clear up in another few days, you'll need to see a health care provider.

Good luck and happy holidays--   HHH, MD
1 Comment
A related discussion, lesion was started.