STDs Community
Red on tip of penis (glans(glands))

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Red on tip of penis (glans(glands))

I am hoping someone can give me some guidance. I am a 21 year old uncircumsized male. About 2 years ago now, i had unprotected vaginal sex with a lady who's sexual history I do not know. A few days after this incident, I got lots of little red dots on the tip of my penis. Just dots, not raised, no pain. Trying not to panic I left this for a few days to see if it would clear up. The red dots lasted for a week or so and then cleared up.

Since then, the tip of my penis has been constantly red. It seems to change shades of red but it has not gone back to its previous color. It seems more red in the shower (I only wash it with warm water, nothing else) and when I dry it off it seems lighter red/pink.

Throughout the day it changes from red to pink but is always slightly different from the rest of my penis head. The redding seems to start from the opening at the tip of the penis and the spreads variably to the area around it but never reaches all the way down to the meeting with the shaft.

I also masturbate everyday. I have tried to stop for a few days and it seems like it gets lighter but then I end up masturbating again and it seems to get more red again. To be honest in the whole 2 years i have not tried to stop masturbating for a month or so to see if it helps... I always give in. Could it be that I am too rough with my penis when I masturbate and its trying to heal but I dont give it time? How much time would it need?

I understand that in uncircumsized men its often the moisture which causes infections on the penis head. I try to leave my penis to dry in the air in the mornings after my shower. When it dries out the penis head seems to get a bit wrinkled/scaly. I cant remember if this is normal or not?

I went to the doctor a couple of times during the last 2 years. The first time I went, the symptoms were very mild, so the doctor said, 'this is normal' and I am being paranoid. But he took a swab test and a urine test. I was a bit upset because the symptoms werent showing so much as I had alcohol the night before and the symptoms arent as evident when I am dehydrated or in a hot tropical climate. The urine and swab tests both came up normal.

I went a second time to see another doctor and brought my camera phone. She said it looked like a yeast infection, which from my google image searches, I must agree as I saw one penis with similar little red dots which mine had initially and the same sort of redding on the tip on other infected penises. She prescribed canisten which is a cream for vaginal thrush. It seemed to make the red turn to light pink while i was using it but it did not rid me of the infection. Now after all this time I am stuck and really want my penis back to normal!

It does not cause me any symptoms except very occasional itchy penis head or very occasional and very very mild but constant burning of the penis head.

The only other thing I noticed is that when I get sick, I sometimes get very yellow mucus. This may have started around the same time, im not sure if it could be related.

I hope someone here has had a similar experience and can help me to get rid of this problem. I am nervous going to the doctor and each time I have been they have prescribed things which do not work very well.. I would like to go to a specialist but they wont accept me without a referral.

I look forward to any responses.

Thank you.
i have the same thing had unprotected vaginal sex --now its been 2yrs and i stilll have that redness at the opening and on top the head. i had one red dot near the opening but went away after a day. i am currently trying cortaid. drs said its normal, but i know my penis was never like this before. some times i feel heat eminating from the skin. i also have burning urination, that hasn't been explained, so be glad u don't have that at least, it sucks. if u ever find out what it is or how to treat it please let me know...i been to 4 doctors like a dozon times.