STDs Expert Forum
Red shinny rash on rim of head of penis

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Red shinny rash on rim of head of penis

I have no idea what this is, but the morning after sex with my girl friend, I noticed a red shinny area (about a tenth of an inch long and half as wide, almost a rectangle) on the rim of the head of my penis.  It seems to have well defined edges.  it is totally non-painful, does not itch, or hurt, and does not appear to be a sore of any type.  at first I thought it was nothing, but its been two weeks and has not changed.  When you press it it goes back to normal skin color and then when you let up it returns to a red color.

I have looked at about a thousand photos of HSV 1 and 2 and it does not appear to be that, again it does not hurt or itch and is not painful to touch.  any ideas what this can be?  
  It is tough for me to tell you what this is without the opportunity to examine you but I can certainly tell you what this is not.  It is not herpes, or any other STD.  There are no STDs which have their onset within 24 hours of exposure.  What you describe sounds like it may be one of several things - a local reaction to something that might have been in your GF's vagina (lubricant, contraceptive jelly, other), some sort of dermatological problem or something that has been there longer than you think which you just happened to notice.  The latter is my guess as to what is going on.  The fact that it goes back to normal appearance with pressure but re-appears when the pressure is removed suggests that it is vascular (blood vessels) in nature - possibly something called "telectangaisia".  These things happen and are of no consequence if this is what it is.

If you had asked about this the day it was noticed I would have told you just to watch it.  Now that it has been there for two weeks makes it worth asking someone about.  I seriously doubt that it is anything to worry about and again, can assure you that it is not an STD.

Hope this helps.  EWH
thank you Dr.  Hook, Of course, I was concerned with herpes, which is what I thought it might be, but given the lack of pain,  burning and itching,  thought that would have been strange.  If you told me it was possible to have a herpes outbreak without blisters, pain, burning or itching, (just a red shinny area where the skin is definitely different, like not as tough) then I would be really worried.  thought about it being mites but its only one area well defined area, again with no itching, or burning so I thought that was unlikely.  I have recently had prostrate surgery (cancer) and of course that was a concern, (obsversely thought a different form of cancer) which was my other major concern if it wasn't herpes.  I know this is the wrong forum for that.  Long about way of asking my question but here goes,  have you ever heard of a herpes outbreak without any pain, the burning, itching or blesters?  I assume that sense It has remained unchanged for two weeks (with the exception it is starting to have a reaction to all my rubbing of it) I should do to a doctor, given that what type of doctor should I go to or would you stick with a generalist and get a referral after I am looked at.  thank you very much.