STDs Expert Forum
Red spots on butt cheek

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Red spots on butt cheek
I have 2 red spots show up on my buttox about 7 days ago.  They didn't hurt and are about 2 inches away from each other.  The smaller one went away in about 3 days and now it is just red and dry where the spot was. The other, larger one, at first didn't hurt but started to itch a little bit.  It felt firm for a while but keeps getting smaller and is now almos flat.  It was tender to the touch the past 3 days but doesn't hurt anymore and I barely notice it is there.  It looks dry on the top or it.  Could this be genital herpes?  I've never had any symptoms before.  This would be the first time that I've had anything like this on my buttox or anywhere for that matter.  If this isn't herpes, what else could it be?
Obviously I cannot say what the lesions are without seeing them.  There is nothing in your description that particularly suggests herpes.  Probably the most likely explanation is pimples.  But see a provider if they persist or recur, or if you otherwise remain concerned.

HHH, MD
Do people have first genital herpes outbreaks on their butt?  Is this possible?
The truly first outbreak almost always involves the genitals or anus.  But that can be asymptomatic.  Later recurrences on the buttocks could occur, and could be the first symptom someone notices.

Only 2 spots 2 inches apart is atypical for HSV infection.  I doubt you have herpes.
One more question...

Would herpes blisters heal at different times if they occured at the same time?