STDs Expert Forum
Redness on head of penis

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Redness on head of penis

Doc,

Over the past 10-12 months I have had a redness on the top part of the head of my penis.  I have seen two local docs which really couldn't tell me anything and I have had the "swab" test (which was neg).  Here is a run down of my symptoms over the past months.

-The redness gets more intense from heat (for example when I am using my laptop in my lap the heat from the computer gives my penis a more intense red tint to it.....I also spend a lot of time outside and hot sunlight and sweat seems to intensify the redness as well)

- I have had a lot of nasal congestion (especially in the morning when I wake up) and drainage in the back of my throat constantly)

-My penis sometimes has a numb/hot feeling to it.  For instance it almost feels like when you have a limb (arm,leg) "fall asleep" on you.  

-I also have a very slight burn sometimes when I urinate (sometimes accompanied by cloudy and a strong smelling urine). After I have urinated it almost feels like my penis itches for 5-10 minutes and it seems like it itches/tingles "inside" the shaft.

-Sometimes I am tired a lot sooner than normal and I just dont feel refreshed in the morning times like I should.

I have been looking on the internet trying to find any and all answers I can but I am still in the dark.  I think about it daily and sometimes really gets me down.  I am just ready to shed some light on my situation so I can go on with my life.  

I failed to mention that the 1st doc I saw prescribed ketecozal (sp?) 2% and I saw no results.  I have also tried hydrocortizone as well.

Simple redness of otherwise normal-appearing skin probably doesn't indicate anything abnormal, especially when it has been unchanged for almost a year.  However, if the redness is particularly intense or there are other changes--flaking, peeling of the skin, etc--then you should see a dermatologist.

Feeling tired, not refreshed after sleeping, and that you "think about it daily" suggest part of the problem may be stress, anxiety or depression.  I'm not a big believer in psychogenic pain, i.e. the brain manufacturing symptoms that wouldn't otherwise be there.  But clearly pain, discomfort, and other symptoms can be greatly magnified by anxiety or fear--so a sensation that otherwise means nothing seems a big deal.  (Also see my response to the post just before yours, "persistent urethritis".)

In any case, it is extremely unlikely that you have anything going on that is a real threat to your health, including your sexual health.  But if the symptoms continue, see a dermatologist--but then trust what he or she says.  In the meantime, avoid all medications, creams, etc--they could be part of the problem.  For example, repeated use of hydrocortisone or other steroids can cause atrophy (thinning) of the skin, which might appear reddish.

HHH, MD
Thanks for the reply doc. However, where does the cloudy urine and slight burn when I urinate come from.  Could this be a yeast infection?  I have quite a few symptoms associated with candida.  Does this sound like a possiblity?  

Thanks again.
I also failed to mention that when the skin is stretched...it appears that it looks like 100 tiny little red bumps that make up the redness...it looks normal with just redness until you really look at it and stretch the skin.....??
Still probably normal.  But nobody can be certain through online conversations.  See a health care provider, perhaps a dermatolgist; you'll sleep better, either because the normality will be confirmed or, if something in fact is wrong, you'll be on the way to a solution.

HHH, MD
A related discussion, pizzled was started.
A related discussion, possible causes of redness on tip of penis was started.
A related discussion, Redness On Penis was started.
I have a problem with redness on my penis head occasionally. For instance last night I was with a girl and we dent have sex but I was rubbing with my penis over her underwear trying to have sex and also we were dry humping and next morning the tip of my penis was really red. There was a spots of head that were more red than others. This have happen few times but it usually goes away after couple days. I don't have any pain or itching but its Just uncomfortable to have. I forgot to mention that I have skin over my penis head. Sometimes it feels like its dry and sometimes it seems like skin on my head is peeling. If you could give me any answers for this problem it would be of great help. Thank you.