STDs Expert Forum
Regarding STD's in gays

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Regarding STD's in gays

Dear doc, me & my friend are in gay relationship for the past 5 years sometimes protected and sometimes unprotected sexual intercourse. 3 years back I had erosion over my corona & dermatologist asked for igG , igM antibodies for herpes,result was negative.2wks back I had intercourse with him& from 5 days I developed a papule over my dorsum which is asymptomatic,dr asked me to use acyclovir . from 4 years I am having erosion at the opening of my penis and dermatologist said it was normal.                  

I never told to my doctor that I was gay &. I used to say I m sexual relationship with my gf.

I would like if there is any chance of STD for me or my friend because we didn't had any relationship outside.& is it safe to have a gay relationship for such a longer time.

In near future we are about to get married, so please guide us regarding basic investigations to rule out STD's.

Tags: Gay, STDs

Welcome to the Forum.  I'll be pleased to provide some information.  The lesions that you describe do not sound like typical herpes lesions however from the sounds of things, based on appearance your doctor thought this was a possibility (and that was the reason you were given acyclovir).  It also sounds like you and your partner are in a monogamous relationship in which neither of you has other sexual partners.  If this is the case, you can both be tested for a variety of STDs and, if the tests are negative, you have no reason for concern as long as you do not have other partners.  The tests I would recommend in general for both of you are tests for gonorrhea and chlamydia at all sites of exposure (penis, rectum and throat) and blood tests for syphilis and HIV.   While I suspect that your tests will be negative, any of these infections can be asymptomatic as well.

In your specific case where herpes is a concern, as already suggested on the HSV Community site, I would suggest blood test for HSV antibodies.  The specific test I would recommend is a type-specific IgG test for HSV-1 and HSV-2 (there are several brands of this test all of which perform similarly.  The test used most widely here in the U.S. is the HerpeSelect but, as I mentioned, there are other tests from other manufacturers which work just as well).  When you both have your test results, I will be happy to comment further.

My guess is that you are both fine and need not be concerned.  I hope these comments are helpful.  EWH
Hi doc,right now I m using acyclovir ..can I go for the above mentioned tests?

Can u be more specific what type of tests should be carried out syphilis,chlamydia and gonorrhea??

A part from culture swab for gonorrhea and chlamydia , are there any blood tests ?? If so are they specific and sensitive &plz advise them??

If possible I would like to send clinical picture if you let me know u r public mail id...

Very thankful for u r valuable suggestions..
That you are taking acyclovir will not effect any of the tests I have suggested.

The tests for gonorrhea and chlamydia should be swab tests although for the penile specimen, a urine test can be substituted for the the swab test fro gonorrhea and chlamydia.  The syphilis test, as I said, like the HIV test is a blood test.  All of theses tests are sensitive and specific

Sorry, we do not accept pictures.  EWH
Dear doc,please specify the name of bloodd test to be carried out for syphilis???
Dear doc, will treponema pallidum particle agglutination assay blood test for syphilis will be sufficient??
The test you mention will be fine.  In general we screen patients for syphilis with an RPR or VDRL test but the TPPA that you mention is also a good test.  There are many such tests. EWH