STDs Community
Reiter's Syndrome?

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Reiter's Syndrome?

I found out I had chlamydia about 6 months ago. Never really had any symptoms so not sure when I got it. Since that time ( about 6 weeks later ) i developed a brief fever.  Then eyes felt very dry for about a week, not red and swollen just very dry and almost burning. Then had an episode of mouth sores on roof of mouth and few on tongue. Since that time now 6 or 7 months later I am very stiff in the morning and my feet have been very sore.  I also have what looks like small ulcers in the back of my throat.

My questions are:

1. from what i have read this seems like Reiter's Syndrome (reactive arthritis),  Does anyone else have a opinion on this?

2. since I do not know how long I had chlamydia is it possible to have chlamydia for a long time then it turn into this Reiter's syndrome?

is there a cure for reiter's syndrome?

has anyone else on here had it after chlamydia infection?
Have you been back to your doctor for a full work up?  If not that's your next step.  This is far likely to be something else going on ( and perhaps even nothing really at all going on ) but you need a full work up and possibly consults to specialists to figure it all out.  

grace
so what else could be causing this stuff? Seems unlikely that nothing at all could be the cause. Do u know anything about reiter's syndrome?
1. Your symptoms do sound somewhat like Reiters.  There is a gene test for this, it won't tell you if you have it, but it will tell you if you are in the higher risk group for it.

2. Chlamydia does not "turn into" Reiter's, rather, the infection causes the body to become inflamed which is what causes the symptoms.  Other infections can have the same effect.

3. There is no cure, but typically it will go away on it's own.  Taking anti inflammatory drugs can help with the symptoms
One last thing, I agree with Grace, you should have a check up.
I currently have Reiter's syndrome.  It sucks, BIG time.  But it IS manageable.  I would NOT recommend taking any anti-inflammatory medications.  There are natural ways to manage your symptoms.  Since Reiter's syndrome is a form of arthritis it can be managed as such.  Arthritis is inflammation, so start by buying foods that reduce inflammation.  Foods such as blueberries, sweet potatoes, kelp, broccoli, and extra virgin olive oil.  

Other symptoms of Reiter's syndrome, include swelling of the feet and ankles.  Lowering your sodium intake can help this.  You can also take supplements like GLUCOSAMINE & CONDROITIN. (hope I spelled that right).  This supplement will help a great deal with the pain and discomfort.  

I'm not a doctor nor do I know very much about the medical field.  I am just a guy who knows his body very well, and who knows what has been working.  I started out freaking out as any would.  I went to numerous doctors and had all kinds of tests.  They prescribed all kinds of medicines and, no lie, I felt worse on every single one.  When I started eating right and finding natural ways to deal with it is when I started feeling better.  For as long as I can remember I have been against modern medicine.  Aside from surgery, today's medicine does not seem to fix any of the problems.  It just treats it.  Sufferers spend thousands of dollars to feel better for 2 or 3 hours then it starts all over again.  I cannot live like that.  Its torture!  If the Chinese can survive using herbal and all natural solutions then so can I.

I'm gonna stop right there becuz apparently I had more to say than I thought. :)  Go natural or Go back to feeling like ****.  Good luck!
If you didn't notice, this post is from 2007 and the original poster probably is no longer around.  Please excuse the comment if you were just using this post as a soap box.
Have an STDs question?
100,000+ doctor answers