STDs Community
Relative Risk
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Relative Risk

Doc,

On a recent trip to Seoul, I had sex with a girl in a higher end room salon.  She performed oral and then we had very brief intercourse.  I was extremely intoxicated after a long night with friends and colleagues.  I remember having trouble with the condom and noticed that it was broken when we finished.  I woke up the next morning very concerned about my STD and HIV risk.  

Any thoughts on my relative risk?  I have lost a lot of sleep over this.  

Steve in Virginia

Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
207091_tn?1337713093
Your chances are just as good with her as they would be with anyone who doesn't use condoms - maybe less as she is probably using condoms all the time.

Since the condom broke, you should see your doctor for testing.

Aj
Blank
Thanks.  My colleagues in the region say that these girls are tested regularly.  I guess I am most concerned about the possibility of HIV.
Blank
207091_tn?1337713093
Your chances of HIV are very low - if she had it, the chances of you (as a male) getting it from her are about 1 in 2000.

You are FAR more likely to get chlamydia or gonorrhea than HIV.

Testing regularly helps, but what if the condom broke when she was with someone the night before?  That wouldn't show up on any testing for a week.

Aj
Blank
Thanks for the reassurance.  How quickly should I be tested for Chlamydia or Gonorrhea?

I have a sensation in my penis that feels like I am about to dribble in my pants. I think it is easy to become paranoid about symptoms and to psych oneself out because I have this same feeling when I am stressed or nervous about something.  That said, I am going to assume the worst in this situation.
Blank
207091_tn?1337713093
Don't assume the worst.  The worst isn't likely at all.

You can test for gonorrhea and chlamydia at a week after the exposure.

Aj
Blank
Thanks AJ.  Appreciate you taking the time to offer your advice.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
STDs Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...