STDs Community
Residual Chlamydia Symptoms

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

Residual Chlamydia Symptoms

Hi there.  18 days ago I was correctly diagnosed of chlamydia based on symptoms, and this was later confirmed by discharge and urine tests (ghon. and trich. were negative).  I was given 4x 250 mg of Co-Azithromycin (and 400 mg of Suprax for the possibility of gonorrhea).  The primary symptoms of chlamydia I'm happy to say are gone.  But there's one thing bothering me.  When symptoms were at their worst, discharging was... well it was impressive.  During the day I could feel it in my urethra continuously, starting somewhere mid-urethral area.  Burning however was always limited to about an inch (maybe a little more) from the tip of my penis.  

I have one remaining 'symptom', and its so minimal that it could all be in my head.  It feels like there is a drop of urine or something at the very top of my urethra.  Guys, you know that feeling when you're lying in bed after urinating, and you feel one last drop as far up your urethra as could be, just behind your anus and forward a bit?  Generally you can squeeze and it milks its way out.  But this never comes out.  I can make it feel as though it moves forward, but there is never any discharge and the feeling in the original location always returns.  It's not a burn or a sting, I can just feel it.  

My doctor is away until next month.  In the mean time, does anybody have any thoughts?  Could the chlamydia be in my prostate?
It could be just some residual inflammation from the infection, but its on the long side now, and should be clearing up.  

I'm not a guy, so I haven't ever felt what you are describing lol, but given that its so minimal, and you are even questioning whether its in your head or not, give it a couple of days, drink plenty of water, and see if that helps.

Aj
Thanks again Aj.  Would you care to explain your repeated advice to drink lots of water?  Probably to keep everything 'flushed', right, but I originally thought more water would speed up the flushing of antibiotics as well, which you'd want remaining inside for as long as possible.

The feeling I previously described is mostly pronounced during the night, but often when I'm just sitting too.  Again, it doens't hurt, it's just a feeling.  So this morning after another long night of frettingly pacing around and mentally beating myself up, I said "screw it" and went to the doctor anyways.  It wasn't my regular guy, but whatever.  After hearing my story and performing a digital examination of my prostate, she doesn't suspect prostititus since its not inflamed and not painful.  She said it was *more likely* incompletely treated chlamydia, so she gave me another gram of Co-Azithromycin.  She added that it would also help with my anxiety, whether the symptom is chlamydial or not, since something is being done.  And she's completely right.  Knowing that something is being done will calm me down for the next week or so.  If its all in my head, it should go away with calmness.  If its chlamydial, it should go away with treatment.  Here's hoping.
Sometimes, not drinking enough water can cause irritation in your bladder and urethra, thereby causing pain, burning, etc.

It also helps flush bacteria, and no, meds don't wash out that way.

Aj