STDs Expert Forum
Results and Thank you

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Results and Thank you

Hello Dr Hook and Dr HHH

I know not who would pick up this thread, but whoever picks up I would like to thank you, I'm the guy who posted approx 3 months back.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/Worried-sick/show/1842584#post_8514318

On my 88th day, I went and took the standard antibody test for hiv 1/O/2 and it came out negative. I think that I would nail my fears of hiv deep to the ground. These 3 months I have read so many threads of you guys to all poor folks like me. I read about HPV and still a little bit scared but I m sure I would overcome the fear after all I have dodged the HIV bullet, I have not had any outbreaks of herpes in mouth and gentials, so I presume that I wasn't infected. I also think by reading your threads that a shot of 250 mg of rocephin and 10 days of doxy could prevent any incubating syphillis (syphilis) plus I had a few days of penicillin VK which was given when I had to take a broken tooth. My wife wants to do a syphillis (syphilis) test just to make sure I m out of woods for all.

As a matter of fact reading some of the threads, I would smile to my self and say doctors like you'll reassuring us is a blessing

"Please do not worry".  - Dr Hook , this lines I would keep telling myself

"Not to say my midnight manhattans and dinner wines"  -  Dr HHH for a person worried about HPV

I also did google up some of the studies that was done by you folks and I like the video in ASHA website by Dr HHH and his book on STD and Dr Hook research on gonorhea strains.

Saying a thanks does not equal the comfort your answers that helped me come over this fear, I am not a very righteous person but whenever I do pray I would remember you guys and ask God to give long life and that you see a cure for this dreaded HIV.

God bless you both. Good bye and Godspeed to you

Thanks for your follow-up.  I am glad that you have come to peace with your exposures and that you and your wife have moved forward.  your tests prove conclusively that you did not acquire any STD, including HIV form the exposures you described.  You can be quite confident that when you get the repeat syphilis test that your wife requests, that it will be negative.

At that time I urge you to put this entire matter behind you and move forward with complete confidence that you did not acquire any STD, including HIV.  No further testing is required.

Take care. EWH
Dr, you were right. I did a test for syphilis through Labcorp at 14 weeks and 4 days which was RPR with confirmation from TP and it came back non reactive. I think I would be OK. Someone gave me a fear of HPV and HTLV. Considering the exposure I had I think I would not be infected with these also. If I m, I would need to accept this the yang for my ying.

Just as an update I m having ear aches but I don't think it is related to any STD but to the cold and I think this too would pass away.

However I would like to ask a favor as a way of saying thank you. Is there a charity you support which I could donate a little .

Thank you and God bless
I am pleased to hear of your test results and congratulate you on your plans not to worry further. That is the correct response.  

We do not request donations but if you wish to help the cause of better information for persons with and at risk for STDs, you could donate to the American Sexual Health Association who provide excellent, reliable general web site information on STDs.  (Disclosure, Dr. Handsfield and I are or have each been on the AHSA Board).  EWH
Hello dr,

Sorry to get back to you, today I went for my general check and explained the doc about what happened and showed my test results. He said that I would be clearly out of the woods only if I do a hep b and c test. I also told him that I did take the first 2 vaccinations for hep a and b after the last exposure. So I gave the test at labcorp for hep b and c. The dr said he has ordered the hepatitis b surface antigen and hep c antibody test. I m very worried If my vaccination would show up as positive since the dr told the vaccination is made of the surface protein of the virus . This has kindled my anxiety and stress back.

Sorry for the trouble
Please don't worry, the antigen used as vaccine for hepatitis B is cleared quickly.  I anticipate that both your hepatitis B antigen and your hepatitis C tests will be negative.  Please don't worry, your doctor is just being thorough and that is a good thing. EWH