STDs Expert Forum
Risk for HIV when uncut

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Risk for HIV when uncut

Hi. I’m a man from Norway who kissed with and had mutual masturbation with another man. I know you regard mutual masturbation as no risk. However – does this still apply considering I’m uncut? I’m asking because 10 days after possible exposure I got a sore throat, which has lasted for 6 weeks now. It’s not very sore, but it feels like I have needles in my throat, and sometimes I feel needles under and on top of my tongue as well. The last three weeks my chest might also have been a bit more redish than usual (rash?). Otherwise my health has been fine and no fever. My doctor has checked my throat for bacteria etc that could cause my symptoms. Nothing has been found.

I took a HIV combo test two weeks  and one month after possible exposure. They both turned out negative, but I feel there is no other options left than HIV that could cause a sore throat for so long.

Why is mutual masturbation considered no risk? Is it because no reports have verified this as an actual mode of HIV-transmission? or could it also be explained in medical terms why this is no risk? Common sense tells me another guy’s semen massaged into the head of my penis using my own foreskin should be considered a high risk activity.

It seems GB and Denmark use a four week window for a combo test to be conclusive;  therefore by their standards I should be considered truly negative. It shoudn’t be to wrong then to assume a combo-test at four weeks on its own would be more than then 99% trustable? Are all combo/duo test considered equally trustable? I think my lab uses a combo produced in Germany.

My thought is this: 0,1 probability for my partner having HIV, 0,01 risk for transmission, 0,01 from combo-test. This give 1 in 100 000 chance of being infected, but when I take my symptoms into consideration it still feels like 1 in 10, giving me very much anxiety. I’m mentally very far down, and often shivering with fear.

What is your opinion about my risk of HIV-infection?
Tags: risk, uncut, HIV
Welcome. But unfortuately this question should be in the HIV prevention forum; see the notice at the top of the page:  "Welcome to the STD Forum, which is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS...."

Test results always outweigh symptoms.  Your negative combo test proves you did not catch HIV, which therefore cannot be the cause of your symtpoms.  I agree with the conclusive nature of a negative combo test at 4 weeks. That test was finally approved for use in the US a few weeks ago; the same conclusive standard will soon apply here as in Europe.

Here is a thread that explains the biology of STD/HIV transmission, which answers your question about mutual masturbation etc.  Start reading with the December 14 follow-up comment:  http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/1119533

Being uncircumcised roughly doubles the risk of HIV if exposured.  But since the risk is zero from hand-genital contact, it makes no difference; doubling a zero risk is meaningless.  Anyway, your math calculation is irrelevant, since the test shows you didn't catch HIV.

Because it's the wrong forum, there won't be any ongoing discussion.  You could re-post your question in the HIV forum for a more detailed reply.  However, I suggest you don't spend the fee to re-post; the reply might be more detailed but it won't be different.  You can scan the forum to find identical questions and their replies.

Regards--  HHH, MD

Regards--  HHH, MD