STDs Expert Forum
Risk from receiving oral sex

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Risk from receiving oral sex

I received unprotected oral sex a month ago from someone I didn't know. I have developed no visible sores or discharge during that time. I understand that I have little to worry about in terms of HIV, but I was wondering what my risk was for gonnorhea (Gonorrhea), chlymidia, syphilis, HPV and herpes. Would the symptoms have shown up by now? It is so confusing because each Web site you visit tells you something different and many tell you that you can have these conditions without symptoms. Since the incident I have been much more aware of sensations in my groin area and have been nervous. I have had slight pains at the edge of pubic hair where the thigh and the torso come together, but I have attributed that to nerves because when I burp the pain goes away for a bit. Do I have anything to be concerned about? Thanks for the great service.
Tags: Oral
You don't say whether you are a man or a woman; and if a man, whether your partner was a woman or another man.  The answers are slightly different in each circumstance.  However, in all these the biggest risk is herpes due to HSV-1; otherwise the risk is pretty low.  Chlamydia and HPV are almost never transmitted between mouth and genitals.  (Well, HPV may be transmitted, but it almost never causes warts or other problems of the mouth or throat.)  Some cases of urethral gonorrhea in men can be acquired by fellatio, but no woman gets genital gonorrhea from cunnilingus.  Men probably sometimes get nongonococcal urethritis (NGU) by fellatio, but this may not be an STD in the usual sense:  it is suspected that perfectly normal bacteria in the mouth may cause inflammation when they get into the urethra.  Syphilis can be transmitted in either direction by oral-genital contact, but it's rare.

The symptoms you describe almost certainly aren't related to the event you are referring to, or to any other STD.  With the exception of syphilis--which can take a couple of months to show up--any of the above problems would have been apparent by now.

Good luck-- HHH, MD
Please check the rest of the posts, this question comes up frequently.  Essentially I believe the answer is that you have nothing to worry about.
I'm not sure if it matters, but the exposure was less than a minute and I did not ejaculate.
The risk of STD (and HIV) probably is quite a bit lower with a brief exposure than a longer one.

HHH, MD
I'm a male who recently received oral sex for about a good 20-30 minutes from a female who was extremely promiscuos and used no protection with other men (she's going to get tested).  IN addition, we were involved in deep kissing for about an hour or two.

She claimed to have no cold sores or wounds in her mouth at the time, and about an hour or two earlier she had an alcoholic drink if that matters (in maybe killing potential virus?).

QUESTION:  If she were to be HIV positive, what are the odds I could catch it from 1-2 hours of deep kissing and 20-30 minutes of receiving oral sex?  

Thank you.

A related discussion, STD was started.
A related discussion, oral sex was started.
I have not develop any gential (genital) herpes symtom for a month. Am i considered homefree for this std. Normally how long would symtom have showed up? Do i still need to observe any thing on my penis? I am worried and depressed tat the symtom would show up. It should not rite?
I am a female and I received oral sex from a male. About a week later he said he was diagnosed with ngu. He doesn't have chlamydia or gonorrehea. But he was given a antibotic (antibiotic) ..should I go receive the same antibotic (antibiotic)