STDs Community
Risk of STI transmission for a male when receiving oral sex

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

This question relates to all the main STIs that may be a concern with regard to a male receiving oral sex. In particular, as a man if I receive unprotected oral sex, which of the following (or any other STIs not mentioned here) may I be at risk of acquiring: Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Herpes, HPV, Syphilis, NGU, HIV.

I believe in certain cases if the female (who performs the the oral sex on the male) has obvious symptoms of a certain STI, then the risk is much higher for the male to contract that STI, while if symptoms are not there, then the risk is much lower.

I'm hoping for replies to the above. Many thanks.
Risk is low but you can get...gonorrhea, NGU, herpes and syphilis. Gonorrhea and NGU are most common. Herpes is not a major concern unless the person has an outbreak (cold sore) and syphilis is rare in developed countries and rare in women.
That's what the question and answer were referring to.
If you read my answer it is detailed the risk and what you are at risk for.
Have an STDs question?
100,000+ doctor answers