STDs Expert Forum
Risky Exposure and Possible Symptoms

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Risky Exposure and Possible Symptoms

Hello Doctor,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.  I am married and have a wife that is 12 weeks pregnant.  To my shame and guilt I had a risky exposure which can be read here:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/One-time-Encounter/show/2017444#post_9526956

I hope it is appropriate to send a link to an earlier post.  The volunteer responses were very helpful and encouraging, but I'm seeking the opinion of a professional.  The encounter referenced above happened 12 days ago.  Since then, my entire boxer region is on high alert.  I have not had any sores, lesions, rashes, burning, scratching, pain urinating or abdominal pain.

I have experienced mucus in stool, black tarry stool, orange stool, constipation, and slight discomfort around scrotum, urethra, and penis head, occasional discomfort in abdomen particular around appendix area.

Last evening (11 days after exposure to me and 9 days after sex with my wife), my wife mentioned that she found mucus in her stool and white/clear discharge from her vagina.  She mentioned that these have been happening for a while, before my initial exposure I assume.  She has also complained of her hips hurting, but we both believe this is because she is forcing herself to lie on her side due to the pregnancy, putting more pressure on her hip joint bones.

So, thanks in advance for answering my questions:

1)  Can you give me a risk assessment for STI's on the referenced encounter along with Hepatitis?
2)  Should I be concerned with having sex with my wife?
3)  Should I be concerned with harming our unborn child?
4)  Do any of the above symptoms (myself or my wife), give cause of concern for STI's?  (I heard that mucus in stool, which is in both of ours, is indicative of gonorrhea.)

Thank you very much for your time!
Tags: STDs, symptoms
Welcome to our Forum. Thanks for sending the link.  I did review your interactions there and agree with what was said.  Neither your receipt of masturbation, nor your receipt of condom protected oral sex represent risks of any sort for either HIV or for other STIs.  

On the other hand the changes in stool that you describe may represent other, non-STI medical problems.  In particularly black tarry stools may be an indication of bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract.  if this is indeed the case, you may wish to see a doctor about these problems, not because of any concern about an STI but because they may indicate other health issues.  

Similarly, the stool changes in your wife could indicate that you both have some sort of similar, non STI problem (many stool problems, including hepatitis relate to eating food contaminated in one way or another and that you both are experiencing GI tract problems could indicate something that you need to know about and treat (but not an STI).  

I agree that the hip problems may be pregnancy related.  this does not suggest any STI.

In answer to your specific questions:

See above, the activities you describe did not put you at risk for sexually acquired STIs, including hepatitis.

No, not based on the exposure you mention.

Mucous in the stool does not suggest gonorrhea. As mentioned above however, it could indicate a GI tract problem.

I hope these comments are helpful. EWH
Thanks Doctor, and thank you for the welcome.  It's appears that shame and guilt are the biggest symptoms from this.

Does your assessment include herpes if I touched her, then touched myself later after showering and washing my hands?

Do you see any risk of exposure from the fact that I touched her genitals with scabs on my thumb and back of hand?  The scabs were well formed with no exposed wound.

Also, could the GI/stool/constipation issues be anxiety related?

I'll try not to occupy any more of your time.  Thank you!
Yes, my assessment does include herpes.  Genital herpes is not transmitted in this way either.  This was a nor risk event for STI- I said this before.

The fact that you and your wife are both having gastrointestinal illnesses makes me wonder if this is more than anxiety.  I suggest (again) that you both get checked for a shared GI illness. You both may have eaten the wrong thing  EWH
Doctor, thank you again for your time.  I'll end the thread with a final question.

Typically, does HSV manifest as sores only in the area that was initially exposed, or can sores appear elsewhere that were not directly exposed to the virus (at least in terms of the initial outbreak)?
Typically HSV occurs is areas of direct contact or nearby, not at distant areas (either intially or with recurrences). EWH
Doctor,

I know I said I was going to end this thread after my last question, but I've had a development that has me highly concerned.  I extend my deepest apologies for consuming your time.  I would like to rule out STI's before moving on to the next phase (I plan on consulting with my family doctor as well).

Last evening I noticed a small lump on my right testicle about 2-3 mm across.  I don't know how long it's been there, but I hadn't noticed it before.  It's not on the skin of the scrotum, but inside the sack and on the testicle itself.  My testicles are not tender or swollen, but I do feel a general discomfort in my testicles (it could be from sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day with constricting pants in addition to 2 very tiny hernias, as this is not the first time I've felt discomfort in my testicles).

So, at this point I'm wondering if this lump could be from a bacterial STI.  My frantic (and fear driven) internet research showed a few medical sites that indicate lumps on testicles could be from bacterial gonorrhea and/or chlamydia.  What are your thoughts?

Thanks again for your time.
It appears that you cannot get by your guilt over this.  My orignal response - "Neither your receipt of masturbation, nor your receipt of condom protected oral sex represent risks of any sort for either HIV or for other STIs." - is still operative.  If you have a new lump on your scrotum, it may represent an abscess or cyst of some sort but to determine this you need to be examined.

Rather than continue to fuel your anxieties, the time has come for this thread to end.  I wish you well. EWH  
Thank you, Doctor!