STDs Expert Forum
STD, Genital Warts

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

STD, Genital Warts

2 months ago I had brief unprotected sex with a girl, I'm a 24 year old male. I've tested negative for gonorrhea, chlamydia, and syphilis. Over a week ago while urinating I noticed some bumps on the corona of my glans (glands) penis. After some research I'm pretty sure these are just pearly penile papules. They haven't changed in any way since first noticing them. However, after this I started examining my penis closely every day. I've noticed a couple of whitish bumps on my glans (glands) penis that are sometimes noticeable and sometimes not at all. I also notice redness on occasion, but think this might be due to constant irritation of the glans (glands) penis from examining. In addition to this, I've found a tiny spot/bump on the far left of my glans (glands). This again is sometimes noticeable and sometimes I have trouble finding it. It does not appear to be raised very much if at all. I don't know if these are normal variations in the penile skin or signs of something like genital warts. I've had sebaceous cysts on my scrotum since I hit puberty if that makes any difference. This has been driving me crazy and I'm considering making an appointment with a dermatologist at the local hospital just to be sure.

1. How likely is it to develop genital warts on the glans (glands) penis?

2. Are most dermatologists comfortable with examining the gential (genital) area? The one closest to me is a female so I don't know if that makes a difference, I'd like to think not

3. How likely is it for genital warts to show up so soon?

4. How likely is it for men to develop genital warts?

5. Is it possible that I'm just noticing small bumps due to increased scrutiny of the genital area?
These questions largely duplicate the ones we discussed a week ago.  If there was something you didn't understand, you could have asked in a comment on the other thread, without a posting fee.

1) Warts can involve the glans (glands), but the shaft is a somewhat more common site.

2) Dermatologists are generally very comfortable and very experienced with genital examination and diagnosing genital lesions.

3) Already discussed last time.  Very unlikely.

4) Genital warts are equally common in both sexes.

5) "Is it possible that I'm just noticing small bumps due to increased scrutiny of the genital area?"  Probably that is exactly what is going on.  Anything that "is sometimes noticeable and sometimes I have trouble finding" probably isn't abnormal.  My bet is that will also be your dermatologist's opinion.

Please note that MedHelp permits a maximum of 2 questions every 6 months on each of the professionally moderated forums (see Terms and Conditions).  The reason is to prevent overloading of the forums by repetative and anxiety driven questions.  Don't risk losing a non-refundable posting fee on a new question that would be deleted without reply before mid-September.

HHH, MD
Thanks again. Don't mean to be repetitive. I think I'm just going to go ahead and make a dermatologist appointment so that I can get closure on this and move on. I think really what I've learned is that these types of encounters aren't worth the anxiety. Thanks again for your help.