STDs Community
STD Anxiety

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

STD Anxiety

Hi... I have noticed in the last few years I have developed severe health anxiety.

I am a 26 yr old straight female living in Canada, I don't engage in casual sex have had one unprotected sexual encounter 5 years ago when a condom broke.

I average 1 sexual partner per year and a half - I strictly have monogamous, protected sex (with a condom every time)... but because of this I figured I was safe from STD's... now in reading information on the internet I have spun myself into a fury of worry!

I have been in a relationship with an amazing man (also in mid 20's) for almost a year, prior to us being together I hadn't had any sexual contact for 7+ months. He hasn't experienced any symptoms and we've spoken about my worry when it comes to me going for a PAP test in a month. He's extremely supportive but I'm so worried I gave him something.

I am so unbelievably worried that I have an STD that I will google for hours and think about it non-stop all day.

I have no symptoms, know all of my previous partners and none of reported any issues.

Can you please give me some piece of mind, and help me to stop making myself ill with worry?

Thank you.
Tags: STD, Anxiety
It seems as if you are not a likely candidate as you state no symptoms of Herpes of any other STD. I am wondering, what has you worried?

However, it sounds like you need absolute assurance so I would go to your GYNO, get examined, express your concerns, and ask to be tested for STDs, including herpes. That will give you the peace of mind you are looking for.

Additionally, it would be wise to ask your current partner to be tested as well unless you are his first. Most people who contract an STD kick themselves because they never asked their partner to be tested before engaging in sex. A condom is a very good practice and limits your exposure, but not full 100% full proof.  

When it comes to sex these days, the stakes are too high not to protect yourself and your partner.
Thank you for your response.. I think the thing that has me so worried is the statistics out there and just not knowing.

I have an appointment for a PAP in November but I think that I should pop in for an STD test just to be sure this week so I stop driving myself completely crazy.

My partner and I have talked about this - I know he was tested in 2009 for everything, and we have always used condoms... he also does not seem worried when I express my fear for my PAP.

He has offered to go in for a check up as well to give us both piece of mind, which I really appreciate.

I totally know the stakes are high in this world.. that's why I've thought I've been vigilant in protecting myself, but all this information on the internet that's available can really make your head spin.
The internet is a bad place to be if you have health anxiety. Overall I see nothing to be concerned with.
Thank you Vance - I really appreciate it.

That totally calmed me down. :)
You are completely fine. What you have is irrational anxiety and by reading the Internet posts it is making it worse. Stay away from the Internet and stop researching. You are fine and enjoy life!