STDs Expert Forum
STD Concerns

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

STD Concerns

Hi Doctors; On 3/26 I had unprotected oral sex with 2 escorts, they alternated for around 5 minutes. I then had protected vaginal sex with one of them for like a minute, the condom was intact the whole time. After that I took off the condom and masturbated. Stupid decision I know. When I got home, I started getting frequency with urination, and had a little bit of "uncomfortableness" (if that's a word). It's not really painful, and there is no discharge or any other symptoms. 2 days later I called my doc, and he prescribed Cipro 500 MG for 14 days. I've had a history of chronic prostitius, and have had Epididymitis in the past as well (not from STD or anything). I'm just concerned that this could be an STD or something. I had unprotected sex with my wife yesterday, so I'm worried about that too. Even if I had something, would the Cipro I'm on have taken care of it?
Welcome to the Forum.  I have several comments for you however my summary statement is that this was a rather low risk exposure and there is probably little to worry about.  Now for my comments:

The discomfort you mention soon after your exposures is certainly not due to an STD. There are no STDs that cause symptoms in less than 36 hours after exposure and even that would be uncharacteristically rapid.  Your exposure may have resulted in some minor trauma and this may have lead to the discomfort.

Second, your doctor is not doing you any favors prescribing cipro for you if it was provided related to this exposure.  Ciprofloxacin in a poor antibiotic for STD treatment with modest activity against gonorrhea and little meaningful activity against chlamydial infections (although chalmydia is extraordinarily rare following oral sex and should not be a concern).  He should have at least tested, if not examined you.  

I hope this helps.  As I said, the overall risk involved with these exposures is quite low but not zero.  The cipro may have offered some slight help.  At this point however, what's done is done.  I would simply move forward and try not to worry.  If you are worried however, the major theoretical concerns would be gonorrhea and NGU which can tyiucally easily be tested for once you are off antibitoics for about a week.  EWH
Thank you so much for your response. The doctor gave me the Cipro for the history of the prostititus. I didn't mention this. Would you suggest I waste time with testing?
Personally, I would not seek testing related to the exposure you have reported.  EWH