STDs Expert Forum
STD Incubation period

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

STD Incubation period

Doctor,

I had an encounter with a pro in mid-April. I was wearing a condom, but was having trouble keeping an erection. When I pulled out, I noticed that the condom was only covering the top 2/3's of my penis the bottom third of my penis had been exposed. I pulled off the condom and asked her to finish me with her hand (which she did) The hand portion lasted about 2 - 3 minutes.

I had no symptoms of anything wrong for 54 days. On the 54th day, I had sex with my partner. It was the first time we had done it in 7 months and I didn't not have a very powerful erection. As I entered her, there was a lot of friction for the first 30 seconds. 2 days later, it started to feel very weird when I urinated. I had to urinate more frequently in smaller amounts and the stream was much weaker. Also, I felt a mild irritation in my urethra. It felt like there was still urine in there after I urinated, but nothing would come out. This was more in the middle of my penis and not at the tip. It didn't hurt urinate. I just felt the irritation afterward. I had no discharge from penis or pain in my testicles.

I had some antibotics (amoxicillan) at the house and stupidly, I started taking those 2 1/2 days before I could get tested. I tested negative for everything, but I'm concerned that I might have screwed up the test by taking amoxicillan before I went. At the time I took the test, I still had the symptoms. By day, 4 of taking Amoxicillian, the symptoms had disappeared. I continued taking the drug for another 4 days.

My questions are:

1) Could I have caught an STD from the person who gave me the handjob?
2) If I have no symptoms for 54 days, is it safe to assume that I did not catch gonorrhea or chlamydia.
3) Would taking amoxicillian 2 1/2 days before a urine test remove any traces of the disease and make the test worthless?
4) What the chances that I exposed my partner to something.
I appreciate your help
Welcome to our Forum.  I'll be pleased to try to help.  There is virtually no risk of getting an STD from the exposure you describe.  Condoms are effective when they slip part way down the shaft of the penis as long as they cover the urethra.  In addition, while it may be theoretically possible for an STD to be transmitted through receipt of masturbation, neither Dr. Handsfield nor I have ever heard or seen such a case in our combined over 65 years of STD focused practice or in our reading of the medical literature.  In your own case, the fact that you have not had experienced any symptoms in 54 days is further assurance that you did not acquire an STD.  

The increase in initial friction that you noted on intercourse with your regular partner is likely due to a lack of lubrication.  You mentioned that you had not had sex for over 6 months.  Without intercourse over such a long period of time it is typical for person to develop fewer lubrication secretions making intercourse a bit "dry" for a while.

In answer to your specific questions;

1.  No STD risk from receipt of masturbation.
2.  The exposure you described did not put you at risk for gonorrhea or chlamydia.  these infections can be asymptomatic but I repeat, you were not at risk from the exposure you describe.
3.  Yes, taking amoxicillin could reduce the likelihood of detection of infection, if you were infected (which is not a concern)
4. Your partner is not at risk.

I hope these comments are helpful. EWH

In answer to your specific questions;

4. Your partner is not at risk.

I hope these comments are helpful. EWH