STDs Expert Forum
STD? Infection? Rash... peeling skin... please advise!!

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Please help! A couple of days ago I noticed a slight itching and a redness - blotches or spots, about 2-3mm across and flush to the skin - on the glans of my penis, and some smaller (less than 1mm) white spots (papules) under my foreskin. This worsened somewhat over the course of the day, and a slight burning sensation developed at the end of the urethra, though this latter sensation only lasted a few hours. Yesterday I found that the red rash had faded a bit, but that the white spots had started to peel; now much of the skin under the foreskin seems to be peeling, and this has spread slightly to the glans itself (where under the foreskin the peelings are soft and white, almost like smegma in appearance). Beneath the area where the skin has peeled the skin is raw and blotchy red, and quite sensitive although all pain and itching has now basically stopped. When I told my girlfriend she admitted to having been itching slightly for several days, something which seems to happen periodically - I
The most likely possibility is that you and your partner are sharing a yeast infection.  Genital itching is the main symptom in women; yeast is the most common cause; men are more susceptible if uncircumcised; and your symptoms sound typical.  She can purchase appropriate treatement over the counter, and you can share a few dabs of her medication.  If that doesn't take care of it, you both should see a health care provider.  In the meantime, I doubt herpes or anything dire.

Good luck--   HHH, MD
I have noticed a few white blotches on the head of penis. Also that area appears to be red and sometimes irritated. The blotches have been there for about 10 tens and have not worsened or gotten better. There is slight itching but when Cortaid was applied to the genitals the itching sensation subsided. I showed a health care physician and he said there was no major problem but couldnt give me any answer or medication what could this possible be?