STDs Expert Forum
STD Risk

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

STD Risk

A week ago I had a sexual encounter that is causing me to worry.  I'm a guy and had straight intercourse with a woman who is not monogamous.  She claims to be very careful about her encounters.  In fact, she inspected me for visual signs of an STD prior to starting. Here is an account of our actions.  I wore a condom for a couple minutes while we first engaged in vaginal intercourse.  Immediately after that, she performed oral sex on me (still with condom).  Then I removed the condom and masturbated to completion.  Then I performed oral sex on her primarily focusing on her clitoris.  During cunnilingus I inserted by bare finger into her vagina to stimulate her G spot.  I didn't perform cunnilingus for more than 2 minutes, nor was my finger inside her for more than 1 minute before she freaked out and said "wait, is that the hand you had semen on".  It was.   I told her she had no risk of pregnancy (vasectomy) , and being that since I have been monogamous several years until that night, her risk from catching something from me was minimal.  Now however, I'm concerned about contracting an STD from her.  She claims to get tested regularly.

What is my risk considering I performed unprotected oral sex on her?  Other observations were that there were no noticeable lesions, or odors from her genitals.  Also, do I run any risk from inserting my finger into her vagina.  I had no cuts on my fingers?  Should I get tested?
Welcome to our Forum.  Your risk for having acquired any STI from the encounter you describe is quite small.  Let me review why I say this.

First, I suspect your partner did not have any STIs.  Most people do not, even those with multiple partners, and the care with which she approached you and her statements about regular evaluations suggest this to be the case.  

Second, even if you had not used a condom for most of the events, most exposures do not lead to infection.

Third, you used a condom for vaginal and receipt of oral sex.  Condoms are highly effective.

Fourth, amongst sex acts, cunnilingus is probably the lowest risk for acquisition of any STI.

Fifth there is no risk to you from masturbation of her with your finger, nor of transfer of her genital secretions to you on your (or her hands).

Sixth, you remain asymptomatic.  Most STIs would have caused symptoms by day five following exposure.

For all of these reason, I think the likelihood that you acquired an STI from this encounter is vanishingly low.  I see no medical reason for testing.  Whether you need testing for your peace of mind is another story but I certainly would not be concerned.

I hope this assessment is helpful.  EWH
Your response was quite comforting.  Still, there remains a lingering concern.  However, since it has been at least 17 days since the encounter and I have had no symptoms, are there any STI's that I can rule out and then limit testing to only those STI's that do not have obvious symptoms?
All STIs can be asymptomatic. I suggest that you go on and test if your feel you must (I would not),   At this time testing for gonorrhea, chalmydia and NGU would be defintive.  EWH