STDs Expert Forum
STD Transmission through Mutual Masturbation involving Vaginal Fluids

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Dear Dr.

I'm happy to find this forum, and have found bits and pieces of answers to my question. I'd love a specific answer to my situation.

I'm a 31 year old male.

12 days ago on June 2nd I had relations with a sex trade worker/hooker.

She sat while I urinated on her. After the urination she masturbated herself, while I masturbated myself. A short time after she started to masturbate me with her hand that was touching the outside of her vaginal and most likely had come into contact with some vaginal fluid.

There was no other contact, no genital to genital touching. Only vaginal to hand to penis.

I've had no symptoms that I can find that relate to any STD except possibly one. On sunday my anxiety got the better of me and I believe it caused my urination to increase. I now have a small red line that starts at the bottom of my urethra opening and ends on the underside of my penis head. It does not hurt to pee, but if the redness comes into contact with urine drips, or is brushed against clothing the wrong way, it causes some discomfort.

My questions

1. what are the risks of transmission of any STD to myself? I fear chlamydia or gonorrhea. I have gone to see a nurse and have taken a urine test for these both. This nurses assured me that a test wasn't even really  neccessary as transmission from vaginal fluid during mutual masturbation is a non-factor. While another health line nurse suggested I be tested for everything.

2. Is the straight line under my penis STD related, or perhaps simply from urine irritation, or is it impossible for you to say?

3. I had 1 red dot on the head of my penis after masturbation last evening, that disappeared throughout the day today, is that normal?

Thank you for any help you may be able to offer.
Welcome to the forum.  I'll try to help ease your concern.

Reacting first to the title you chose for your question:  STDs are rarely if ever transmitted by hand-genital contact, even when genital secretions are used as lubricant.  Logically it seems possible, except for the fact that spreading secretions around in that way dilutes them greatly, and also results in significant drying; and most important, for the fact that we simply never see such cases in busy STD clinics.  In 30+ years in my clinic, I never saw an STD in someone who had not had insertive sex.

And in this partiular case, it seems the sex worker only touched her own genital area; I doubt her hands came away with any but a very small amount of vaginal fluid.  Urine does not transmit STDs.  As for the "red line" and slight urinary discomfort, this sounds most like you have a heightened awareness due to anxiety and are noticing normal sensations and appearances that really are not abnormal.  Of course if you are convinced that things are clearly abnormal, you should be professionally examined.  But if anything actually is wrong, you can be quite confident it has nothing to do with the exposure described above.

1) As those comments sugggest, I agree with the clinic nurse -- and disagree with the "health line" advice.  (Most likely the phone line is answered by health educators, not nurses or others with substantial clinical experience.  Such persons typically give a standard party line, which is designed to be very conservative and to avoid telling people they are at no risk.

2) Impossible to say for sure, but probably nothing to worry about.  See above.

3) No STD can cause a skin lesion that appears and then goes away in 24 hours.  Here too, I think you're just looking too closely and seeing normal variations in skin tone.

As for your comment below, neither gonorrhea nor chlamydia can cause the sort of "irritation" you describe.

In summary, I believe nothing is wrong; and even if there is, it has nothing to do with the June 2 sexual exposure.  If I were in your situation, I would not be tested and would continue unprotected sex with my wife, with no fear of giving her anything.

I hope this helps.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD

I'd like to add that the nurse who helped with my urine test also said she completely expected it to come back negative. However, this irritation under my urethra was not mentioned in much detail at that time. This change changes my opinion of her expected negative.
Just to clarify this statement

"And in this partiular case, it seems the sex worker only touched her own genital area; I doubt her hands came away with any but a very small amount of vaginal fluid."

She did touch my genital area after she touched her own. I believe this is what you meant and I am reading it wrong.
I understood perfectly.  No risk.  And another things I should have said above:  if there IS some small risk for STD transmission in this circumstance, it is only for the STDs transmitted from skin to skin, like herpes, HPV, or syphilis -- and even these probably are really zero risk.  Chlamydia or gonorrhea probably are impossible.

So don't over-think this. Accept the reassurance and move on with no worries.
Thank you very much for the help. If I'm having trouble sleeping until the test results are in, then this is the forum to read for me.

Thank you very very much for your professional opinion.
As expected my urine test came back negative for both Chlamydia and Gonorrhea. When thinking clearly, based on Dr. Handsfield's expert words and the words of the Clinic nurse, I knew that they would. However, the anxiety had literally convinced me that I had both and had destroyed my marriage.

While at the clinic, based on just being their and it being convenient, I was also tested for Syphilis (contact STD which the Dr says is probably zero risk) and an HIV test (very low risk activities in my past, want to move forward with confidence in my relationship). Neither of these two things has me high strung like I was before my negative results today.

The Dr's are indeed experts, and we should trust their professional opinion.