STDs Community
STD from oral sex while both on antibiotics

This forum is for questions and support regarding STD issues such as: Chlamydia, Crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Herpes, HPV, Molluscum Contagiosum, PID, Rectal Infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, Warts, Yeast Infection

For questions and support for HPV/genital warts, please visit our HPV Community. For questions and support for Herpes, please visit our Herpes Community.

Please note, this forum does not cover AIDS/HIV issues. Please visit our HIV Prevention Community for information and support.

I am a man and I received oral sex from another man about a week and a half ago. I am worried about stds from this exposure. As for herpes, there were no cold sores and he told me he had never had one, so is the risk for herpes high? As for the other stds, gonorrhea, chlamydia, ngu, and syphilis, we were both taking antibiotics at the time. I was taking cipro for an unrelated issue and continued to take it for 7 days. He had been taking doxycycline for acne for 22 days prior to and during the exposure. Would that lower the risk for me? I have no symptoms.
There are a lot of different of antibiotics and it doesn't seem like any of the antibiotics that either of you were taking were for an STD, so no it won't lower the transmission.  And even if you were taking antibiotics for an STD if your putting yourself at risk for another STD it's kind of pointless.  Oral sex carries a low transmission for HIV, but not for other STD'S.

With oral sex a lot of factors play a role.  Did yuo have any open/cuts sores in your mouth? Was there an open/cut sore on his penis? did you brush your teeth before or after? All of the factors i stated above plays a role.  The best thing to do is go get yourself tested and use condoms for oral and and form of sex.  Best of luck to you.
I was just wondering the risks for contracting herpes. He had no cold sores. As for gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphillis (syphilis), and ngu, I was curious as to whether the doxycycline that the other man had been taking for 22 days for acne would have eradicated any possible stds in him to prevent transmission and if the cipro that I was taking for the week following the exposure would have possibly eradicated an std if I contracted one.
I am not sure where the previous poster learned their std info but they are giving inaccurate info.

oral sex isn't a real risk for hiv. we don't recommend any testing for it from oral sex routinely.

syphilis, chlamydia, gonorrhea, ngu and herpes are your main risks from unprotected oral sex.  

would the antibiotics you were both on protect you from std's? well some of them potentially. I'd wait at least a full week after you finish your doxy before seeking out testing if you feel the need to test.  as you know from your previous post here, oral sex is overall low risk for std's and we don't recommend routine testing unless you have symptoms or if there is another partner to protect.  

protect yourself, save yourself testing and save yourself worrying and only have protected sexual contact in the future :)

grace