STDs Expert Forum
STD from receiving oral sex

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

STD from receiving oral sex

I am a 35 year old male and went to a strip club 3 nights ago and was very drunk and received oral sex from the stripper. Nothing else happened, no kissing and I didn't do anything to her. It was a spur of the moment thing. She didn't seem to have any soars on her mouth but it was dark inside the club. I am wondering what my chances of getting any STDs are? I have been feeling Nausea but not sure if that is just related to the nervousness of what happened. I've also felt a slight feeling of having to pee. But have been peeing at my normal schedule with no burning or interruptions of flow or length of urination. Also, the tip of my penis seems a little more sensitive. Should I get tested for STDs and am I at any risk of passing this on to another sexual partner? Any info would be greatly appreciated
Welcome to the Forum. the exposure you describe was low risk for any STI.  In general, oral sex is an inefficient way to transmit STDs. There are no reported instances of person acquiring HIV from receipt of oral sex.   As for other STIs, even among persons with many sex partners, oral infections are uncommon and for a number of biological factors too complex to go into here, the efficiency of transmission of infections through oral sex is lower than for penetrative genital-vaginal or –anal sex.  Of the bacterial STDs only gonorrhea and nongonococcal urethritis (NGU) are transmitted through oral sex; for all practical purposes, chlamydia is very rare and without an obvious sore or lesion on your partner’s mouth, the chances of syphilis and herpes is likewise tiny.  There is also currently a large amount of overstatement of the risk of HPV and its very rare consequence, oral cancer, related to HPV infections is excessive and should not be a concern either.  If you had gotten gonorrhea or NGU you will most likely developed symptoms of urethritis (penile infection, i.e. penile discharge or burning on urination) within 5 days of exposure.  Even if your partner had an STD (any STD and it is likely she did not), most exposures do not lead to infection.

Personally, unless you develop symptoms, I would not worry and would not seek testing and would not worry about transmitting infection to a partner. if you need the comfort that negative tests provide, then you can get tested at this time. Testing should most importantly include testing for gonorrhea and NGU.  

I hope this comment is helpful. EWH

3 weeks after this event I had the full STD tests and everything came back negative. It is Now approx. 6 weeks since the event occurred, I've had no symptoms and was wondering if you suggest any further testing or should I feel comfortable with the negative tests 3 weeks ago? Thanks for the help
No, there is no need for further concern or for further testing. Time for you to move forward without concern.  EWH