STDs Community
STD or Paranoia?

Ask questions, get support regarding sexually transmitted diseases (STDs): chlamydia, crabs (pubic lice scabies), Gonorrhea, Hepatitis (viral), Molluscum Contagiosum, pelvic inflammatory disease, rectal infections, Syphilis, Trichomonas, yeast infection. For HPV/genital warts visit HPV Community. For Herpes please visit Herpes Community.

For AIDS/HIV issues, please visit HIV Prevention.

STD or Paranoia?

Hey there - hopefully i'm posting in the right forum.  If not, pardon my ignorance.  I'd like some advice on what's been going on with me - here's the basic info:

Married for 12 years, absolutely no chance of her being unfaitful, however in December I received oral sex and had protected vaginal sex on 4 occassions.  Late December and January I had aching in my penis, burning/tingling in my urethra and pain at tip/opening of my penis.  Went to a urologist and they did a urinalysis and blood work - white blood cells showed in the urine but bloodwork came back negative.  I was put on 7 days of Doxycycline and given a shot of something.  Symptoms went away pretty quick.  The symptoms returned in early March - I called the urologist and they put be back on Doxycycline for 7 days - this time the symptoms have lessened but I still have discomfort in my urethra, a little bit of pain at the tip of the penis, and hte head of hte penis is cool to the touch.  Should I go back to my urologist?  Ask for 7 more days of Doxy?  Or jsut settle down and stop tormenting myself?  I've seen posts that refer to "mental" causes of genital pain.....am I likely to just be suffereing from this, or is an STD likely?  I have no lesions or cuts or marks on my penis.  I have had some spermatoceoles / epidydimits in the past as well.  Thanks for your help and insight.
Was oral sex protected also? If not then your risk was low and the medication you took probably would have taken care of gonorrhea and maybe chlamydia. I would doubt a STD at this point. It maybe mental or maybe something else. If you still have these symptoms then it never hurts for some follow up testing instead of just medicating.
Oral was unprotected - both her performing it on me, and me on her.  

You said it may be "mental or something else"......what kinds of something else are you referring to?  I've also had my prostate checked - everything looked normal.
I can't say what "something else" could be, just throwing it out there because a Dr needs to be the one who tells you what it is/might be or nothing.
Would / Should testing have caught anything, if I had/have something? Testing was 30-45 days after my exposure, and both urine & blood were tested.
For some STD's, others like herpes and syphilis is would not. But those symptoms don't point to either of those.
Thanks for your help.  This just really sucks and man, if I could turn back time......

In your experience - are these kinds of "mental-induced" symptoms common?  Can stress and anxiety really cause localized pain and discomfort like this??  
Yes they can. I have anxiety myself and I know how powerful the mind is and I have seen plent of people come on here with no issue at all but scared and talk about "symptoms". They may come back weeks later and say symptoms went away (meaning they stopped obsessing over it) or people say they only get symptoms when they think about it.
Thanks Vance.....I appreciate your time and comments.