STDs Expert Forum
STD risk from Massage

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

STD risk from Massage

I would like to start off by saying I’ve read through the posts relating to my questions and the reason why I am still posting even though it may seem redundant is because of a post by Tommy420. This past weekend while at a bachelor’s party in NY my friends and I drunkenly and stupidly decided to go for an Asian massage.  She was a Korean immigrant.

My concern is she was naked during the entire massage. The massage was a “sensual” one and it did not last long. The only other sexual contact was a hand job which was short lived. I do not know if she touched herself before touching me but I do know she was completely naked the whole time but our parts never made direct contact.

The only reason I am concerned is because I read through the posts and Tommy420 mentioned he got gonorrhea from a similar exposure. I am in a long term committed relationship and I am deathly afraid of passing something onto her.  If there is ANY risk at all as I would rather fess up and most likely lose her than risk having sex with her and passing something on to her.

My friend received protected oral should he be tested as well? He is in a similar situation/panic as I am .
If you do recommend testing please tell me how many days we should wait and if/when I should start looking for symptoms.  Prior to this experience I have been faithful and was tested 6 months ago and was negative for everything except HSV1 which I get orally and have had for many years. Thank you.
Tags: STD, risk
Welcome to the forum.

This was an entirely risk free event.  Without direct genital-genital, genital-anal, or genital-oral contact, there was no chance of transmission.  Even when genital secretions are used as lubricant, hand-genital contact rarely if ever transmits any STD.

I can't comment on the claim of Tommy420, but I would say that nobody should ever pay attention to claims of highly atypical STD transmission.  Most such assertions are simply false, either intentionally or because the person was simply wrong about how and where he was infected.  And even if some claims are true, they can be ignored.  Rare things happen, but they're still rare.  If someone posted that they had been struck by lightning, would it change the chance it would happen to your?

Or sex is low risk for STDs even if unprotected, and condom-protected oral sex is no risk for anything.

The bottom line is that neither you nor your "friend" is at risk, you do not need testing, and can safely continue unprotected sex with your regular partners.

Regards--  HHH, MD
Thank you doctor for easing our anxieties. There is a lot of mixed information out there so sometimes it is hard to decipher what is someone covering their butt vs what is reality.

In the end your a respected MD in your field and I trust your opinions and recommendaitons more than some random member post. I believe from your post I understood that there is a zero percent risk of catching anything from the exposure I described. Thank you for alleviating my fears of hurting the person I love the most in this world as well as; allowing me to move on and better my relationship with her.
Thanks for the thanks.  I'm glad to have helped.