STDs Expert Forum
STD risk from sex worker?

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

STD risk from sex worker?

Foolishly I visited a brothel in Australia. While there the sex worker performed protected oral sex on me. I am not to worried about this. She also licked and kissed my cheats a lot. No mouth to mouth kissing. Also she masturbated herself. Afterwards I realized I had a cut on my hand, while I didn't masturbate her there was possible transfer of viginal fluid from her hand to my cut.

Is there any risk of HIV or blood Bourne viruses?
What is the likely hood of syphilis from her lick, sucking and kissing my chest.  
If I was to take doxycycline would this eliminate any chance of syphilis?
What should I get tested for and at what time period after the event.

Or should I just go see a councilor about my anxiety towards SDTs? As I am starting to go insane with worry and guilt!

Many Thanks

Welcome to our Forum.  I hope that I can relieve some of your anxiety.  There was no risk for HIV or most other STDs from the exposure you describe.  Most Austailian brotels are liscensiced and as part of this, sew workers employed by them are regualrly tested for HIV and other STDs, as a result, there is little risk for infection of any sort.

Further, there is no risk of any blood borne infection from any other the activities that you describe, even with a cut on your hand- still no risk.

In answer to your specific questions:

See above.  No risk.

Zero.

See above. there is no risk. If you take doxycycline, the thing you are at highest risk for is getting a drug rash or some other adverse effect of the medication.

There is no medical reason for testing related to the activities that you describe.

I hope my comments are helpful.  Please don't worry.  EWH
Edward, Thank you for your advise it has helped a lot! I hope you have a wonderful day and I am truly greatful for the wonderful work you and you fellow doctors do here as it is a great help to people's problems rather than so many of the other websites which try to convince you ur leg is about to fall off...  I now just need to learn to relax!!
I'm pleased I could help.  Take care. EWH
Edward sorry I know this is a stupid question and stupid idea. I seem to have convinced myself that I am fine for everything besides a stupidly small chance of syphilis.. Say by very small chance I have syphilis, it is now three days after the event, if I was to take doxcyline, would this stop any chance of me passing syphilis to my partner.. I just cannot seem to come to terms with what I have done and the worry/ guilt of passing something to my partner is eating me up inside...
He risk if syphilis is infinitesimal.  If you choose to take doxycycline, it would prevent syphilis but, as I said, you really do not need it.  Deal with your guilt, don't waste your time worrying about things like syphilis.  EWH
Hi Edward, sorry about this silly question by my anxiety is getting the better of me. In regards to the cut on my hand why does this pose no risk from HIV or HEP C if vaginal fluid came in contact with it?

Also it is 5 says after exposure if I start taking doxycycline today is there any chance I could have been able to contagious in the very small chance I have it..  

Sorry for the silly questions by my anxiety is crippling me...
Last answer.  No, you are not at risk for hepatitis C.  It is not spread that way.

AsmI said before, taking doxycycline is a waste so time.

This thread is now over. EWH