STDs Expert Forum
STD risk in recieving handjob

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

STD risk in recieving handjob

Greetings,

A few days ago a girl masturbated me using moisturizer as lube (handjob). No vaginal or oral sex was involved.

I'm afraid I may have gotten an STD because just an hour later whilst I was taking a shower I saw a very small and obvious circular bump beneath the skin of the shaft. The bump does not hurt. I'm not sure whether that bump was there before or after the event. I'm afraid it may be HPV as I have heard that this can spread through simple skin-to-skin contact even without sexual intercourse.

And for more information from my part, I already have HSV-1.

My queries are:

1. What are the STD risks involved in recieving handjobs?
2. Can HPV be contracted through this manner?
3. Can you also contract HIV through this manner?
4. Do I need to get tested for STDs to determine if this was HPV?
5. If say, presuming I contracted HPV, would that have the possibility that it carried other STDs as well like HIV or HSV-2, etc.?

Thanks.
Tags: STD, handjob, bumps
Welcome back to the forum. I'll try to help. However, reviewing your many discussions about essentially zero risk sexual exposures, mostly on the international forum but occasionally on this one, it is apparent you have inflated and somewhat irrational concerns about STDs.  Here is really all you need to know to avoid STDs:  use condoms for insertive vaginal or anal sex (and for even greater security, oral sex as well).  It really shouldn't be necessary to repeatedly ask questions about non-insertive sexual exposures like hand jobs, scratch during massage, etc.

As Dr. Gonzalez told you yesterday on the international forum, no STD (or any other infection) can start to cause symptoms in less than 2-3 days.  Anything you felt or saw an hour after exposure either is unrelated to that event or has to be the result of a physical irritation.  If it persists or you remain concerned, you should see a health care provider to assess whether it's abnormal and, if so, the explanation.  It's not an STD.

1) There is no STD risk from hand jobs.

2) In theory, HPV could be acquired this way.  However, it is very rare if it occurs at all.  (I see Dr. G. may feel otherwise.  But I'll bet he would agree the risk of getting HPV after any single hand job is infinitessimally small.)

3) No. HIV is not possible without insertive sex, i.e. a bare penis inside another person's vagina, rectum or (rarely) mouth.  I'm sure you have been told this many, many times.  Believe it!

4) No STD testing is necessary on account of this exposure or your current symptoms.

5) These other STDs are not transmitted by hand-genital contact.

HHH, MD
Thank you very much for the insight Dr. HHH. It was and is very helpful knowing what the risks are and being aware.