STDs Expert Forum
STD survival in wash cycle

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

STD survival in wash cycle
Thanks for reading this
I would like to ask how long does STD in body fluid on clothing survive after a washing cycle with cold water? I know crabs can survive on clothing and beddings.

clothings having been through such wash cycle, would all the STD be washed away?  could the clothing still have STD so that it will infect other people if they wear it?

No, don't worry about it, even with cold water.

HHH, MD
Thank you so much for responding so quickly, I would just like to elabroate my question slight to get a more firmed answer:

When I mentioned clothing I was actually including underwear, just wondered if that might have made the situation differ since it is more close to the body, and if I masterbated in it (it may sound silly but me and my flatmate have same brand of boxers....not that we share them...).

Would it be possible to tell us a bit more how STD (in body fluid) behave on clothing?

Once again thank you so much for answering
one more detail to ask is if the underwear was not dry thoroughly would that increase the risk of STD surviving on it?

What can be more "firmed" than "No, don't worry about it?"  OK, try this:  washing with detergent is sufficient, cold or hot, underwear or other clothing, fully dried or not.  I doubt anybody ever acquired an STD by contact with contaminated clothing, even even if the clothes were not washed; and nobody ever gets STD from a flatmate without having sex with him/her.  But if you're concerned, it's fine with me if you want to re-wash the clothes with hot water.

Protect yourself from real STD risks and don't lose sleep over the silly ones.  No follow-up questions on this wasteful topic, please.

HHH, MD