STDs Expert Forum
STD with no symptoms

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

STD with no symptoms

Hello

I had a series of unprotected oral sexual encounters where I received unprotected blowjobs on several occasions....The latest was 3 weeks ago. I never had any symptoms of any STD...Could I have gotten gonorrhea or chlamadiya and not show any symptoms for this long?? I read that these infections can cause critical complications (like infertility) if left untreated....I am now extremely worried that I may have something and develop critical complications without having any symptoms.

It is not easy for me to get STD tests here coz I am working in a country where STD's are tabooed so I would appreciate ur reply to ease my anxiety and worry

In general, it is uncommon to acquire any STD by being the insertive partner in fellatio.  The greater risk is to the oral partner.  Chlamydia of the throat is rare and no case of urethral (penile) chlamydial infection has ever been documented from oral sex; if it occurs, it is too rare to worry much about.  Urethral gonorrhea almost always causes noticeable symptoms (discharge, painful urination); absence of those symptoms is strong evidence you didn't acquire gonorrhea, although not definitive.  The most common STD acquired by fellatio probably is genital herpes due to HSV-1.  Normal bacteria from a partner's mouth can sometimes cause nongonococcal urethritis (NGU), but that kind of NGU probably is harmless both for the infected person and his other sex partner(s)--so there is no need to worry about asymptomatic infection.  Syphilis can be transmitted, but generally causes overt, easily recognized symptoms (a sore on the penis 2-6 weeks later).  Finally, it is extremely uncommon for HIV to be transmitted by oral exposure of the penis.  Also, complications of STD (epididymitis, infertility, etc) do not occur in men in the absence of symptoms.

Bottom line:  Insertive fellatio is generally very safe.  In the absence of symptoms, STD/HIV testing is not necessary or recommended after such exposures.  Still, for 100% safety, a condom is a good idea.

I hope that helps.  Happy new year--  HHH, MD
Hi. I think you will find the doc will say that chlamydia is never transmitted by oral. Gonnoreah can occasionally be transmitted but nearly all males have a discharge etc. so without any symptoms you will be fine as oral is the safest unprotected activity that you could do.

The bottom line is that the odds are hugely in your favour that you are ok and free of std's, but wait for the doc to confirm it.

Also bear in mind that they probably were not infected anyway and even if they were exposure does not equal transmission 100% of the time.
What STD does urethritis fall under. i've been reading that it can also be caseud from excessive drinking which ive been doing for the past 2months. Also 2 days prior my urethritis symptoms i drank way too alcohol much such as hard liqour and beer. Can urethritis be aquired from oral sex. Plus tuesday was my last day on the medication that that my doctor prescribed  which was Doxy and anotehr one i cant remember. Now i feel much better and have no itchiing in my urethra. Please respond. Thank you .
It is an old wives' tale that urethritis can be caused by alcohol, spicy foods, or other non-infectious causes.  Simply not true.  It is almost always an infection acquired by sex.  Yes, NGU can be acquired by oral sex; see my initial response in this thread, and search the forum for many other discussions of this topic.

HHH, MD
i understand. But what is killing me is that i dont know how i contracted urethritis. I mean i had unprotected oral sex about 2 1/2 months ago. Protected oral sex 6 weeks ago. And i got urethritis symptoms on Dec 12. Im trying to figure out a time frame or something. my doc said that it could ne possible that i might have gotten urethritis from the protected oral sex experience he said something about microscopic could have made contact with my penis during the incident. Now im thinking the worst such as HIV. I got tested on dec 21 and it was negative. Considering my exposure can you let me know when should i get tested. Thanks
Hey everybody, had a relating question regarding to this. Partook in oral (both giving & receiving). A week later, had a sore throat, and almost 2 weeks after the encounter, felt a 'shocking' pain in the left testicle that was bad for a day and is rescinding day by day (4 days since this initial pain). Just wondering if people had any comments on this...also, I played doctor myself, started taking Keflex yesterday & then today decided to take 2g of Azinthromycin...any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.