STDs Expert Forum
STD worry

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

STD worry

I had 2 sexual encounters with escorts roughly 8 or 9 weeks ago when i was on a business trip to Las Vegas.  Both times I had condom protected oral and condom protected vaginal sex.  I have not shown any symptoms or had any reason to believe something could be wrong until this week.  My wife just last week had something that resembled a yeast infection.  It cleared in about 3 or 4 days after taking over the counter medicine.  However, after her OBGYN visit they detected white blood cells and blood in her urine, which is a sign of infection of some sort.  She still also talks about an itchy sensation down there and the doctor said ther was no sign of yeast.  At this point I'm feeling like I caught something and gave it to her.

1) is it possible for for me to have gotten an STD while wearing a condom? The condom did not break, but it was supplied by the escort in both cases and put on by them.

2) after nearly 2 months would I have shown signs by now?  I know STDs don't always show symptoms but isn't 2 months a long time to not have any.

3) if my wife had symptoms of an STD, would it be possible for it to be real bad one day and clear over the couple days and not show symptoms again?

As you can see I feel terrible about the whole situation and am scared to death about the possibility of giving her something.  

Thank you in advance for time and guidance.
Welcome to our Forum.  I be please to address your concerns.  It sounds as though the exposures you describe we're condom protected, that condoms were used throughout the sex acts, and that they remained intact.  This being the case, this was safe sex and did not put you at risk for STD.  Your wife's problems are almost certainly unrelated to your exposures in Vegas.

As for your specific questions:
1.  See above.  Have confidence in the protection provided by your condom use.

2.  Not all STDs create symptoms but in your case, with the use of condoms and in the absence of symptoms, makes it almost certain that you did not get an STD from the exposures you mention.

3.  If your wife's symptoms were due to STD, they would not come and go without treatment.  BTW, the white blood cells and red cells in your wife's urine are non-specific and could be due to many non-STD causes.  I suggest that you not worry that her recent difficulties are related to your exposures in Vegas.

I hope these comments are helpful.  Ewh
Thank you very much for your quick response.  Yes the condoms were intact tand used the entire time.  I cant say if they were expired or not but i doubt a sex worker would put herself at risk with an expired condom so i assume it was fresh.  In both cases they used their mouth to put the condom on, not sure if that elevates the risk factor at all?

I also keep seeing things on the internet and it started to get to me for a minute, so your response is quite calming.  I know that whatever is going with my wife is probably pure coincidence but the timing is really messing with me.  I know that some STDs dont show symptoms, but out of curiosity could someone have chlamydia or gonorrhea for 3 months to a year and not even know it?  I imagine symptoms would eventually persist.
I agree with your reasoning about condoms.  I urge you to have faith that they worked.

As far as asymptomatic gonorrhea and chlamydial I factions are concerned, indeed there are a VERY small number of cases which can be carried without symptoms for long periods, in some instances as long as a year.  In most people however,symptoms develop.

I urge you to stay off the Internet.  It is full of misstatements, misintpretations, and is information.  EWH
Thank you very much!  I feel much more at ease to get through my day.  I am unplugging my internet for the time being so i stop wondering around and looking for bad answers.

Thank you!
Sorry to be a bother, but my wife has just informed me that she now has a yellow and bloody discharge coming from her vagina. It's about a week early to be her period, and i have since gone and got testing for chlamydia and gonorrhea and am truly freaking out. I know with a condom it is very difficult to spread those STD's but is it impossible if the condom remained intact?  This feels to be to big of a coincidence for it not to be something from me.  Is it possible that I got something else from experience like Trichomoniasis?  I don't know much about that and the testing center I went to doesnt check for that.  Shoud I be concerned?
No change in my assessment or advice.  Your wife's symptoms are likely a continuation of the process you mentioned earlier. EWH