STDS from giving cunnilingus- what is the truth?
HI All

I have a question regards cunnilingus.  Specifically transmission of chlamydia or gonorrhea from female (receiver) to male/female (giver)  (essentially catching oral gonorrhea or chlamydia from cunnilingus).

I have always been under the impression that this act is one of the safer activities you can perform (without protection).   I understand there is a "possibility" of infection if the female receiver was infected with gonorrhea or active herpes but in practice even if the female was infected that transmission of gonorrhea for example is that there is little evidence that infection does actually occur from this act?

I've been doing research and the general "dr google" suggests it can happen , but then a number of more clinical resources suggest there is little evidence it actually does (especially chlamydia).

Can I get any opinions on this?  I know abstinence is the only perfect answer but is cunnilingus dangerous?

Cheers
Steve

It is something that I would not be concerned with. Can it happen...yes. What is the risk...very low.
Hi Vance

Thank you for the reply.  This is what I have gleamed.  There is so much information on the Internet regards to risks of oral sex (where the male is the receiver) so giving head (or getting it) is known to have real risks.  

But when reading about the risks of giving oral to a female there is very little on the topic (except "yes it can happen" - but I've not seen anywhere where anyone has documented a case of someone getting any STD from giving oral to a female (of course if a lady had active herpes blisters then of course there is a real risk but if there are no signs..).

About the only real info I could find was on a Lesbian medical web site that essentially stated that because the risk was very low there hadn't been any real studies done on how many/if any people ever actually do catch an STD From giving oral to a female.  

Beyond that they hypothesized that in theory you could catch gonorrhea (but actual cases had not been documented of it actually happening) and theorized that you probably could not catch chlamydia (not sure why the theory differed between both sti's..

My synopsis - and I guess you back that up is It would seem that cunnilingus - technically it may be possible to catch an STD; in practice it just doesn't happen.  

Cheers
Steve